Springtail bugs?

Old 01-19-13, 02:13 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Springtail bugs?

We have an "invasion" of tiny black bugs on our concrete foundation and slabs. They very closely resemble the pictures I've seen of Springtail bugs on the internet. I'm puzzled, though, by a couple of things. From what I read, these bugs like moisture, but here in the midwest we are in a serious drought. Here at our home, we've had only a couple of inches of snow and a bit of drizzle for the last couple of months. I would think a moisture-loving pest would already be dead!

Also, they don't seem to be very "jumpy." I've gotten a few to "jump" when I try to shove them around with a small object, but most just seem to roll. When I try to "play" with the ones climbing up the foundation, they just fall off. Maybe they are dying and in the process, coming out of the soil???

Any thoughts or other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-13, 02:43 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
I donít know much about springtails; almost never see them here in this part of Pa. My best guess is that maybe they arenít springtails but look similar?

Here in Pa we have county extension offices that are extensions of Penn State where we can take insects to for identification. If you have such a resource then they may be able to help. Sometimes an insect is particular to a given geographical area so local people can be better at ID.

Feel free to post photos, but I suspect these guys are tiny. Keep us posted.

Old 01-19-13, 03:38 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They are really tiny. I have a pretty good camera, but I'm not sure I could get a viable picture of one. Might try tomorrow, earlier, when I have really good light (and if they are still around). I was looking at them today with a large magnifying glass. Don't know if temperature has a lot of affect on them. It's been an unseasonable near 60 degrees today, but supposed to be back into 30's tomorrow. We haven't been outside much, and not looking at foundation like today, but decided we needed to water the trees and foundation with this little warm snap, then we saw the bugs!

I think we also have university extension offices around, but I'll have to figure out where they are.

Thanks for the thoughts.