Mice in Walls and Ceiling but not in home

Old 01-20-13, 02:36 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mice in Walls and Ceiling but not in home

I can hear scratching and squeeking in my walls and ceiling. It happenes from dusk to dawn I haven't had a good night's sleep in awhile! The exterminater was here and he put some poison down in the crawl space under the house but I'm still hearing the mice! There is no access to the attic so setting traps up there is out of the question. I'm terrified that eventually they will chew thier way into the house or cause a fire. I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

Old 01-21-13, 01:20 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Hello freedom2511 and welcome! I moved your post to a new thread as the other one started in 2005 with some activity in 2008 and a little bit lately so I wanted to make sure current viewers see it.

How long ago did the pest control guy bait the crawl space? It can take several days for the mice to find it, and then several more till they die so hopefully you are within this time frame.

Otherwise, as far as getting bait into the ceiling-are there any recessed lamp fixtures or exhaust fans that you can pull down to get small pieces of rodent bait up there?

Another thing to consider-maybe it isn’t mice making the noises in wall and ceiling but possibly bats? In which case rodenticide won’t help at all.

Have you seen physical mouse evidence such as droppings, chewings, etc?

Old 01-21-13, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What kind of attic/roof system do you have? Assuming you have enough attic space to move around in, it might be wise to cut an access hole in the ceiling. It shouldn't cost much to frame out the access and make it look nice.

Old 01-29-13, 03:30 AM
T
also depending on your attic design it would be good to inspect the insulation. insulation is not related to the mouse problem but you get two birds with one stone. (maybe 2 mice with 1 hole )

Old 03-15-13, 07:47 AM
Smile Mice infestation..

Dear Freedom,

Are you still experiencing this mouse problem?

If so I could give you some helpful tips to try and solve it once and for all.

Cheers,

SimonSayz

Old 03-15-13, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 126 Posts
We have a pro to help with their problem, but the OP has never come back again to answer his questions.

Old 03-23-13, 01:09 PM
T
Same problem

I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts. It's definitely mice - I'm in New Zealand and we have no bats here. We are continually putting poison in the ceiling space - the only way is by pulling out the recessed lights and putting some up there that way and then replacing the lights. We hear them nibbling at the poison and we know that some of them die because there is a definite odour sometimes. However, they keep coming back and i would like some tips on how they might be getting in there and what to do to stop them. It's like living in a house of horrors.

Old 03-23-13, 02:36 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
It is difficult to keep them out; they get in my house occasionally. I keep snap traps set and rodenticide fresh, but safely away from pets and kids.

Some ideas:

Inspect closely where the exterior siding meets the foundation wall of your house. Any gaps must be filled with caulking, steel wool, etc. Especially check the corners and plug them; oftentimes there are openings at the corners.

Inspect anyplace where air conditioning lines, fuel oil lines, electric wires enter the house and seal them.

As I think of more, I’ll post. Be aware that doing what I’m advising requires getting down on hands and knees for the most part and don’t be in a hurry.

Consider get exterior tamper-proof bait stations to place around the exterior and in/around any outbuildings. Keep filled with fresh rodenticide. If it gets stale/moldy they won’t eat it. This can create a buffer zone for your house.

Also bait in firewood piles, stored materials, etc. Good luck!

Old 03-23-13, 02:48 PM
T
Thank you! I will give all these things a go. They are scurrying in the ceiling as I am writing..... Do you have any suggestions for a really good rodenticide? I guess brand names might be different in NZ from US.....

Old 03-24-13, 06:24 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
At least here in the US the “active ingredients” are pretty much the same that we use in commercial pest control.

I do prefer the “bait blocks” over the “pellets” and “meal/cereal” baits.

Sometimes the rodents will remove and hide the pellets as that is their nature. The meal/cereal baits can get infested with beetles, weevils, etc after a long time. The blocks are easy to inspect and determine visually if they are chewing.

If you can find gaps in the siding as I mentioned earlier, what I’ve done in the past is to cut the blocks with a knife, screwdriver, etc (be careful of tool slippage) and place smaller pieces into those gaps between siding and house, allowing the siding itself to hold the bait against the house. If the mice are entering/exiting behind the siding, they will find the bait. Again beware that if it falls out, pets, especially dogs, may find it. If you aren’t comfortable doing this, then purchase the tamper-proof exterior bait stations and utilize them.

Tell us what “active ingredients” you find when shopping.

An effective “over the counter” brand here is “Tomcat” or “Hawk”, but don’t get hung up on brand name. Get bait blocks.

Some active ingredients: Brodifacoum, Bromodialone, Bromothalin, Difethialone. I’m sure that other countries have other actives as rodenticides are tested and approved on a country by country basis.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: