Need Guidance on Possible Cockroach Infestation

Old 06-17-13, 05:00 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Guidance on Possible Cockroach Infestation

This may be long winded, but I could really use some help. Recently I moved back home from college. The apartment I lived at while I was in college had cockroaches, but never very large ones. Most likely teen or child cockroaches. Never full adults. We would only see them at night, or early morning. Usually 3-4 in the kitchen. Dead bodies here and there. It was bothersome, but never really a huge worry to us (all guys in the apartment). When I moved back home I unpacked everything I owned and began to pull out my laptop. After opening my laptop I saw a small cockroach on it! Unfortunately, it got away. I was completely disgusted. This was a few weeks ago. Just today my sister told me that in the past week she has killed 2-3 cockroaches (teen or children) aged. All of them were killed in the bathroom, which was one room away from where I opened my laptop those few weeks back. It started getting me worried. Then this happened. I was on my desktop (also one room away from the room where I opened my laptop, but in the opposite direction), and a cockroach crawled over my foot! Once again a small child or teen aged cockroach. I was pissed! I began furiously looking around the cracks and crevices in my room, but had no luck in finding any. I went to the bathroom where my sister said she killed the 2-3, and sure enough there was one there. Both the one that crawled over my feet and the one I just saw in the bathroom I killed. I was on a rampage. I went back to my bedroom to look for more. Next to my desktop, which is on a desk :P , is my mini fridge and my printer is on top of that. I looked underneath my desk and on the side of my printer was another one! I picked up my printer, and looked underneath it, underneath my mini fridge, everywhere! What I found next just made me want to vomit. After minutes of opening up the printer I proceeded to find 3 more in the printer! I just simply sprayed a whole can of bug killer in the printer and threw it out on the curb. There was no way I was going to keep that printer. So to conclude this long post here are my questions. Do you think that, for the most part we controlled the situation? From my point of view, the cockroaches hitched a ride in my printer (which is now out by the curb), and for some strange reason they stayed in the printer instead of venturing out, or at least the ones that did I killed. The cockroach from my laptop most likely mated and laid eggs somewhere, but for some reason only 2-3 have showed their faces so there is a very very small chance that the cockroaches in the bathroom came from my printer. What should my next step be?? I never would have guessed that cockroaches would have hid in my printer, or on my laptop! I'm not sure if I should be extremely worried, or not worried at all. Also, I may go out to buy Boric Acid and simply line every edge of our upstairs floor(which is where all 3 events occurred). Including corners, cracks, really anything I think they could hid in. Any thoughts? Is it too late to just simply treat the upstairs, or will I have to call an exterminator? Please any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-17-13, 05:13 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addition

A change to my original post. I think the first cockroach actually came out of the cooling pad that was with the laptop that first day I got home. After seeing the roach I remember placing the cooling pad in the bathroom, and leaving it there for a little while. I sprayed it a little with this can of bug killer, but left it in the bathroom probably for a day or so. Then I remembered leaving it there and threw it away. Could that explain why there are a few cockroaches in the bathroom? It could be me optimistically thinking that a few roaches hitched a ride on the laptop cooling pad (which some are dead if not all of them), and the roaches that hitched a ride on my printer are all dead or rotting outside. Could I be right?

Old 06-17-13, 05:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Your house and/or electronic eqpt has a cockroach problem. Stop focusing on what you saw first or second as that has no bearing on where they are coming from or going to. They live there now. It could have started in the electronics but they’ve been there long enough now that they are living in the house.

Since they are on the smallish side I suspect they are “german roaches” of which the adults don’t get very big .

Boric acid is better used into void spaces as opposed to making lines all over. They can avoid it easy enough as a line but it will keep them from infesting a void space if you have the tools to apply it into wall voids.

I suggest you get a “gel” cockroach bait. It usually comes in a plastic syringe(s). Inject small dollops into cracks and crevices including electronics. Don’t spray or bait into places that you sprayed as the aerosol sprays also have a repellency factor so you would be working against yourself.

Ensure that you remove/clean-up any competing food sources so that the gel baiting effort will be maximized. Wash trash cans, recycling bins, counter tops, floors, etc. All food/drink spillage and splashes are food sources for these guys. Vacuum crumbs from carpeting, etc. It’ll be work but will be worth it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: