HUH??? Carpenter ants collecting BETWEEN WINDOW AND SCREEN.

Old 06-23-13, 04:42 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUH??? Carpenter ants collecting BETWEEN WINDOW AND SCREEN.

Something odd today. We've had 1/2" carpenter ants showing up in the house for a couple weeks. So I had the Terminix guy come and spray the house a few days ago and he left me some "Advance" bait stations.

But today we just discovered that there are a number of them "stuck" between just one window pair and their screen. The windows are pure vinyl Harvey Windows, and this set are side by side.

The number of them stuck in there is growing, and it's accumulating dead bodies at the bottom when they bake to death.

It makes no sense for me to put the bait in there, because they obviously can't find their way back to the nest in the first place.

So it looks like there's a way in that is hard to reach on the way out. I can't imagine what's going on here, nor can I figure out what is drawing them to the window/screen space. If they're slipping between in from the outside: why? If they're perhaps coming sideways from the wall, then how are they falling inside?

Really odd. Any ideas folks?????

Old 06-23-13, 07:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I would suspect the wall void beneath the window first, above the window second.

Hopefully they are dying from what the pest control guy did. Can you tell from his invoice what chemical(s) he used?

Old 06-24-13, 06:27 PM
T
Well a different Terminix guy came by today and found what might be the entrance point. A couple holes in the vinyl (part of the design) was probably giving them access. Absolutely NO CLUE *WHY* they'd be drawn into the window, but perhaps if they're just foraging they wandered in and couldn't get out because the vinyl was too slippery(?) Dunno.

In any case, he put some fipronil based bait in the 4 places he suspected they could possibly come in (assuming that they'd get to it from the other side).

He also had me pull away a lot of the vegetation that had grown out of control and were touching the house so he could better spray the foundation. That might have been part of it.

I sure hope they aren't nesting in here someplace.

Old 06-25-13, 05:27 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a good plan; thanks for keeping us updated. Give it some time and get back to us if you have questions or need help.

Old 10-04-13, 09:11 AM
T
Checking back in after a while just to update. It seemed to have clobbered the problem in a handful of days, so the bait thing must've done the trick. It's impossible to tell for sure if they were on the way out or not because of the exterior spray, but a bait right at a tight infestation point seems to be the key.

Old 10-04-13, 11:58 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Nice! Tks for keeping us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: