Outdoor Fan to Control Mosiquitos Near Pool?

Old 07-09-13, 10:38 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Fan to Control Mosiquitos Near Pool?

Have a 20x40 inground pool that becomes unusable at dusk. Have taken all the measures possible to remove breeding grounds, but fact remains I live in WI. Not sold on Thermacell or misting, or the propane tanks, and bat houses would be problematic.

If I installed an industrial oscillating fan blowing over the pool area (maybe two) would that be enough to keep them away? Wondering if anyone out there has tried this.

Old 07-09-13, 12:50 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
Thermacell does really work but only when the vapors can remain in the area. A slight breeze noticeably cuts it's effectiveness. I have never used the propane & electric mosquito traps though I have heard they do work. Expensive, but effective.

Fans do work since mosquitoes can't handle much wind. It's a matter of you providing enough air movement to keep them away. Moving enough air over the entire pool area will be difficult but having a fan or two blowing over your seating area will work quite well. If you want to cover the whole pool area you may have to look more towards commercial sized fans but it can be done.

Old 07-09-13, 01:36 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I would think that you would need some serious fans to move air when you are outside as opposed to inside a warehouse, etc. As to the effectiveness of repelling mosquitos by moving air, I have no experience with that. I would suggest finding an entomologist that has expertise with mosquitos. As you learn more, keep us posted.

Old 07-09-13, 04:41 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
I did a quick Google and mosquitos start to dislike winds as low as .9 mph and are hating by the time it gets up to 4 mph. I did not find any absolutes but basically it does not take anything excessive. Many commented that it's not only the wind affecting their ability to fly since they are physically capable of flying in high winds but it also disrupts the CO2 and Latic acid we excrete as we breathe & sweat that attracts them.

Old 07-09-13, 09:10 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PD - thanks. I also read that they basically fly up wind to targets, and, after filling up, more or less glide back to their nest. So the thinking would be creating winds away from the pool would disrupt their flying and disperse the CO2. With pets, am convinced this might be the safest most effective alternative. Now have to source some outdoor fans and figure out how I can cover one side of the pool which is going to be difficult. May be a while before I've finished!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: