Stopping spiders and other smal critters entering house with spray foam

Old 07-14-13, 01:22 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stopping spiders and other smal critters entering house with spray foam

Hey all,

I have a house that I rent out. My renters called today and said there is a ton of spiders entering the basement they are all over. I have a pest company come spray outside the house but I wanna stop them from coming in. Spraying wont just stop it its just a patch. Anyway its a signle family home with a full basement. The back of the house the poured wall foundation is back filled up to the bottom of the framed wall. Looking into the joyce bay from the basement I see dirt like it wasn't seal from the outside. I think they are coming from there. It will be a hassle to dig the outside up and frame out and seal around the wall. Can I have a company come in and spray foam the cavities between the joyces to the end of the box plate to seal it from insects entering? Will that stop them?Is spray foam good for that? Seal all the little spots?

thanks!
Any advice would be great!

Hey all,

I have a house that I rent out. My renters called today and said there is a ton of spiders entering the basement they are all over. I have a pest company come spray outside the house but I wanna stop them from coming in. Spraying wont just stop it its just a patch.
Anyway its a single family home with a full basement. The back of the house the poured wall foundation is back filled up to the bottom of the framed wall. Looking into the joyce bay from the basement I see dirt like it wasn't seal from the outside. I think they are coming from there. It will be a hassle to dig the outside up and frame out and seal around the wall. Can I have a company come in and spray foam the cavities between the joyces from the inside to the end of the box plate to seal it from insects entering? Will that stop them?Is spray foam good for that? Seal all the little spots?

thanks!

Last edited by stickshift; 07-16-13 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-15-13, 06:51 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
When you say that you can see dirt from inside the basement does that mean you can see from inside the basement out to the exterior soil? If so, that needs to be closed up in one way or another. Does that mean that the floor joists and sub-flooring underneath the bay window is exposed to the exterior? If so, then insect entry could be a minor problem considering the rodents, small mammals, snakes, etc that could be getting in.

When you stand in the basement on a step-ladder, can you reach over top of the foundation wall (under bay window part) to the exterior? Iíve seen that condition once when I had to get a small ground hog out of the crawl space that it fell into and chewed into the supply trunk and got into a flex-duct. I literally squeezed it out of the flex-duct like toothpaste into a live trap at the end that I unfastened. Wish I had todays phones to document that. I was alone and the lady and little kids were terrified, hubby was in NY on business. They had piles of books on top of supply registers in living areas. Almost comical except for their fear.

I donít know much about spray-in foam insulation but I suspect that it needs something to hold it in place while it hardens. If I am picturing this correctly then we are talking about an overhead application. There are people on this site that can speak to that application better than I. Can you post a photo(s) of these areas?

Old 07-15-13, 02:40 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post a few pictures of the inside and in that basement? No close ups needed.
Trying to picture how close this grade is to the siding. It should never be any closer then 6".
I think the area your talking about is where the joist sit on top of the foundation plates, if so yes that should have been sealed up long ago with blue foam and spray foam to fill the gaps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: