Mice! How to handle a possible house mouse infestation?

Old 07-29-13, 03:48 PM
C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mice! How to handle a possible house mouse infestation?

A few weeks ago we started noticing mice in the house. I started setting traps- in all about 12 traditional style snap traps, and two catch an release style cage traps. All baited with either peanut butter of nutella. Over the first couple weeks we captured/killed a total of 9 mice (the two that were captured were release 30 miles from the house- no kidding!). Since then for about the past week we have not caught any more (with the same number of traps layed out). However we are still noticing mice running round intermittently on the kitchen floor (out from under the fridge). And they seem to be making their way into the living room. However they don't seem to be going for the traps any more. I'm going to get more traps and try to place them in the paths that we have most recently noticed them traveling.

I did a complete survey around the house yesterday and did notice spots around our sun room door downstairs that I need to seal up (about a 1/4-1/2" gap)- I will be doing that today. However I'm worried we may have some sort of larger scale infestation. Is this something I should continue messing around with myself?

I thought cutting off all possible points of entry, and then just trapping/killing them with traditional methods until they were "gone" is pretty much all we can do.. ?

Old 07-29-13, 05:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
Our pro pest guy should be along later with good info for you

I'd keep using the traps, maybe move them or change up the bait if they are ignoring them. Poison works good too but if the mice decompose in the walls or most any place you don't see them - it can become quite stinky

Old 07-30-13, 12:20 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
I like mrksr’s idea of different baits in the traps. Also move traps into other areas, such as on top of basement and/or crawl space foundation walls. Can you put and check traps in attic?

Can you safely pull fridge out to see if there are holes in wall/floors that provide access? Pull drawer out from under stove (or move stove) to examine for same.

If you have exteriror sheds, wood piles, stored material, etc you could put rodenticide into those as they could be harboring many mice which eventually move into house. You can purchase exterior grade bait stations and fill/maintain them yourself for the house perimeter.

Keep us posted with what you find.

Old 08-12-13, 01:28 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know i'm a little late, but i had the same problem,I got alot with peanut butter with the snap traps but then they stop going for it, I started to tie a piece of a slim jim onto the food tray with string, this instantly started to catch more, it caught the mice better also since they had to tug on it to try and eat it.

Old 08-12-13, 03:07 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
Thanks jimbmc; I’m going to remember the Slim Jim trick.

Old 08-12-13, 04:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I don't mind sharing my peanut butter but I'm not so sure I'm ready to share a Slim Jim
I do like changing up the bait if they quit taking it!

Old 08-13-13, 01:54 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you get enough mice you'll be glad to share

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: