Found a squirrel living in my gutters

Old 08-11-13, 07:19 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a squirrel living in my gutters

So the other day I was doing some work on an outdoor light and heard a weird noise. Got the ladder out and sure enough there is a little squirrel hanging out in the gutter (at first I thought a rat so phew!) Anyhow, then I noticed he ran down to the end and there is a little nest which looks to be made of twigs/cardboard type material.

Im definitely NOT interested in killing the squirrel, however I do want to relocate him off my property. Any tips for capturing them? I was thinking of grabbing the whole nest and relocating that as well but unsure if a good idea

Any thoughts would be helpful
Thanks

Old 08-11-13, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You may could throw some mothballs in the gutter near his/her house and they will leave quickly. You can remove their nest afterwards. Or you could get what I have that transverses my gutter via the downspout and keeps things in order.

Name:  Snake.jpg
Views: 4059
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 08-11-13, 09:18 AM
W
Whoa! Chandler! What kind of snake is that?

When I lived in Vancouver, we had a family of squirrels living in our walls. They were entering via a hole near the roof. We went to the local SPCA and borrowed a live trap.

Put some peanuts in it and one by one relocated the whole family to one of the swankier parts of town that had lots of trees for them to live in.

Old 08-11-13, 09:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's a harmless rat snake. Very beneficial, just scary looking. Only offset is they like chicken eggs. I have to pony up occasionally, but the hens don't mind. This one is at our weekend rental cabin perched on my "weather" forecast stick.

Old 08-11-13, 09:51 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Destroying the nest and other such harassment would work to discourage the squirrel, but make sure the squirrel isnít in the nest at the time!

My neighbor cut a dead tree down while I watched; in the hollowed stump was a squirrel nest-he started picking through it and a grey squirrel ran right up his arm-he threw his arm up in the air-we all heard a snap like a chicken leg torn off of the thigh-my friends rotator cuff was torn just like that.

Old 08-11-13, 10:10 AM
W
When we released the squirrels from the live trap one by one, they were pretty irritated. I'm pretty sure it was the mother who ran right up my pantleg and got half way up my shirt. I was pretty glad there was nobody else around when I shrieked like a girl and the thing jumped off of me. It was kind of embarrassing.

Old 08-12-13, 03:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
I shrieked like a girl and the thing jumped off of me
I'd have paid to have seen that ....... if it didn't cost too much

Back when I was a little kid a squirrel came down the chimney, my mother just about tore the house down with a broom trying to get him out. I don't know who was more terrified, the squirrel or my mother
I agree with the others, either trap and relocate it or make life miserable for the squirrel so he'll want to relocate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: