Hundreds of flies when opening garbage cans?

Old 08-11-13, 01:26 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hundreds of flies when opening garbage cans?

I Dread throwing out the garbage because as soon as I open the lid there are hundreds of flies that barrage me.

I Try to keep the lids down and all food sealed, but I share the trash cans with four other apartment renters and there's only so much I can do.

Is there a way to easily kill them? I've tried bleach and water and I'm sure it kills the maggots, but there are so many adult flies around that I feel like I barely made a dent in controlling them.

Would appreciate any tips/advice or other topics if there are any, I can barely stay outside without tons of them flying around my house, and forget about leaving a door or window open.

thank you for your time

Old 08-11-13, 05:38 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
At this point the containers need to be cleaned out well and all users must employ sanitary discipline when dumping their trash. Can the landlord co-ordinate this maybe?

QuikStrike Fly Abatement Strips can be fastened inside the dumpsters or nearby and changed as per the label.

There are granular fly baits that can be scattered periodically, also as per the label.

These will kill flies, but Iím not sure if youíll really notice a difference as it sounds like a lot of flies are present. The sanitation is the main issue.

Old 08-11-13, 06:40 PM
B
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
There is generally 4 or 5 days minimum between exposure to flies (egg laying) and the hatching of new flies. PA can correct me on that if I'm way off. But there is the possibility that the trash is starting this cycle before it gets to the outside trash cans. Thus the need to get everyone using this location onto the same program. I'm assuming trash is being picked every week. If every two weeks or longer it gets much harder to control.

Also, if there are dogs using the area for their duties and it is not being cleaned up that will add to the infestation.

Bud

Old 08-12-13, 08:25 AM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies! I'll talk to the landlord about it and also my neighbors, as I'm sure they are experiencing the same issues. and yes the trash it picked up once a week.

I Was looking up fly baits, and saw that the Bayer QuickBayt Fly Bait can be mixed with water and be painted on surfaces and was wondering if I can mix the bait with water in a spray bottle and spray it into the trash cans regularly as a method to control them?

I'm guessing Disposable Fly Traps are a bad idea because of the fact that I live in an urban area and they tend to smell and just attracts more flies to the area.

Thanks again!

Old 08-12-13, 03:12 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
I like the spray-on baits too. I havenít tried the Bayer product but have used the Max Force product. Yes you can spray it on various surfaces including the trash receptacles themselves. It does leave a white deposit so donít spray on dark colored siding, soffits, doors ,etc.

I would spray/bait at least once a week and more often during high activity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: