Carpenter Ants in Camper

Old 08-13-13, 10:45 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpenter Ants in Camper

We are the new owners of a previously owned travel trailer. This trailer is in very good shape but was parked at a campground year round so it needed some cleaning. Once cleaned we noticed a few carpenter ants here and there. Two weeks ago I put two Terro liquid baits under the kitchen and bathroom sinks to try and kill any lingering ants. This weekend I went in to check it out and there were at least 150 dead and semi dead ants scattered about the floor. I cleaned them all up to see how many may be left and two days later there is probably another 50 ants on the ground.

My question is, am I killing the ones that are somewhere living in the camper or am I constantly attracting new ones into it with the bait? I want to make sure I am solving the problem and not creating one. All suggestions and information are helpful.

Thank you.

Old 08-13-13, 01:10 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
Since the bait is inside the camper I think you are killing ants that are living inside the camper; in other words, the bad guys. Keep a fresh supply of bait for them and be patient. All baits work slow so that the foragers can get it back to the colony for re-distribution. Donít spray anything as you can contaminate the bait and work against yourself. Campers, especially when not used regularly will get invaded by carpenter ants. I treat them and boats with some regularity. Keep us posted as to progress.

Old 08-15-13, 11:08 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: The night of my OP, I swept the trailer clean again and this time waited to see where they maybe coming from. I noticed a few crawling above the screen in the roof vent. This must be their entry point. I got the idea to lay a piece of cardboard on the screen and put a Terro bait on it so hopefully they bring directly back to the nest instead of falling inside to get the bait in the cabinets and dying before they get back. As I was on the roof I inspected the other vents and didn't find anything but the movement of me on the roof got my wife to screaming from inside the camper as I must have startled the ants in the ceiling and they were crawling out of the AC vents and lights. My guess is they are living somewhere in the ductwork or ceiling. When I first got the camper I turned on the AC and a large amount of pine needles and dead bugs blow out of the vents. I also took off a AC vent and placed a bait in the duct as another hopeful defense mechanism. Two days later there is only a handful of dead or dying ants on the ground. Hopefully I am in the home stretch to a critter free camper. We have a trip planned to Hershey Park next weekend and I have strict orders from the Mrs that the critters need to be evicted before she spends a night in it. Wish me luck!

Old 08-15-13, 03:21 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
Good luck and enjoy Hershey Park! Great place and not far from here.

Old 08-27-13, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ah carpenter ants. Mine tried to come back this year but we were prepared with the terro as well again.
PA is a great source of info, he helped me with a massive drain fly issue like 2 years ago and a carpenter ant problem as well. I am forever in this ones debt.

Hopefully he can now help me with a damn bee issue now lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: