Bees Getting Under Siding - Leave them?

Old 09-09-13, 06:07 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bees Getting Under Siding - Leave them?

I have what I think are Yellow Jackets getting under the siding at the base of my house. It would be hard to get a spray in there as I don't think it would go deep enough due to gravity.

An exterminator quoted me up to $250 to dust the area. He said he would take up to 10 days to not see activity and if I did, he would re dust for free.

My brother says with the cold weather coming - just leave them be (no pun intended - lol) to die. However, as the weather gets colder - could they find ways to come in? I've only found one bee in the house, and looking at it it looked like a yellowjacket, although small. I did not see fuzzy hairs so I don't think they are honeybees.

So will they die with the cold weather? If they are not bothering me, should I even worry about it and wait till spring to see if they are still there?

My fear is whether or not they can do structural damage that will cost more in the long run.

Name:  2013-09-09 18.02.45.jpg
Views: 24847
Size:  33.1 KB

Thanks,
Brian

Old 09-10-13, 06:12 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
Yellow Jackets do not overwinter as a colony so yes cold weather will solve some of the problem.

Whatever you do, donít block or impede their entry/exit point at all otherwise they will chew thru the dry wall into your house and it may look like a bad horror movie inside.

A potential problem is the size of the nest. If large, then it may smell badly from the decomposing organic matter and may need to be removed. But maybe not.
Only time will tell. Even if you treat the nest now, you may still have this problem so there is no harm in waiting to see.

They donít do structural damage other than the potential nest issue described above.

$250 sounds like a terribly high price for a ground level nest that doesnít include nest removal. Call local, small operators for quotes. Some companies, especially mid to large size will have minimum prices for bees no matter how simple the job. We get a lot of easy work that way. Your photo indicates a simple job (famous last words!).

Keep us posted, please.

Old 09-10-13, 06:43 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you ID the bees or wasp to be 100% sure what kind they are?
Just were does this exterminator plan on apply this powder?
Have you look to see exactly where there getting in?
Just trying to picture how if a properly applied starter strip was used how that could get in from the bottom. There should not be any gaps there.

Old 09-10-13, 10:44 AM
B
PAbugman - I called two so far.

One wanted $350 to "spray around the 1,200 sqft house" because if you just treat one entrance - they will find another way to get in.

Also, it's not in the ground. You might know this, but I think they are getting up under the siding. His guess is that they are in the void between the cellar's wall (it's a partially finished basement)

What should I expect to be paying for someone just to apply a dusting agent?

joecaption1 - In the picture - the are coming in right around the center under the first or second piece of siding from the bottom. I haven't ID 100% - just found a live one in my living room and killed it. Looking at it closely, I it was black and yellow stripped and I didn't notice any fuzzy body. What is a good way to get a better ID.

I should mention that when I mow the lawn and even when the side discharge shoots towards the house, they haven't bothered me. I would think they would sense the pressure from the side discharge or vibration of the motor and come out to investigate.

Thanks
Brian

Old 09-10-13, 02:32 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Inspect the basement ceiling in the immediate area of their entry point at the siding. Looks a little high to be in basement ceiling though; maybe wall void. Go inside the house to that wall void and listen carefully for a rustling sound. Rap on the wall. Put your ear on the wall. They may have gone up into the first floor wall void, too. Check that wall void for rustling.

Before treating I would need to have a good feel for where the nest is in respect to the basement ceiling or in a wall void. At the least I would attempt to shoot the dust into their entry point. This would require getting up close and personal with proper eqpt.

Does basement have a ceiling in that area? Drop ceiling or fixed? Is basement wall insulated or simply paneling over block?

ďUsuallyĒ the nest is close to the entry/exit point.

Old 09-12-13, 11:42 AM
B
Saw this late. Had it treated already.

I did what you said prior and didn't hear them. The basement has a fixed ceiling and there is insulation there. I was worried because on the first floor I have a heating grate cut to allow pellet stove heat come from the basement up. I was afraid that might make it easier for them to get it.

So the guy that came got up close and personal all right. No protective gear, he went up to the siding and pounded on it to stir them up. He then went to get some equipment (duster, mirror, etc) and when he dusted - he got attacked - about six times. Three minutes earlier he told me he never gets stung and has been doing it for a long time.

I looked this morning and didn't see any activity but only looked for a few minutes.

The charge was reasonable - $85 - a lot better than $300+ i was quoted by one guy.

Thanks!
Brian

Old 09-12-13, 02:14 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Thatís a very reasonable price for a simpler job. Glad it worked out for you. Remeber, donít seal the opening, even if you can find it, until there is no activity for a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: