What do I need to do to actually catch mice?

Old 09-17-13, 07:46 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do I need to do to actually catch mice?

I occasionally see evidence of a mouse (a dropping or something chewed) but never catch anything in traps I set out. Evidence is found in random locations. Last weekend I found a single dropping on a chair cushion. I'm hoping this means I have an infrequent visitor and not a community
Does the bait in a spring trap actually attract the mouse to it or do they more/less stumble over the trap? I've read to put traps along the wall or in a corner because mice don't see well and will trip the trap by walking over it. If this is true I don't understand how more elaborate traps that require the mouse to enter it or climb a ramp could even work.

I'm careful not to leave food out so my house is only attractive as shelter--not food. I'm wondering if the bait in traps will attract mice in that otherwise might just pass by in search of better pickings.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-13, 07:57 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you using brand name traps such as Victor? The mice laugh at dollar store traps.

Old 09-17-13, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 81 Posts
I'm hoping this means I have an infrequent visitor and not a community
Usually if you see one, there's always more around.

Old 09-17-13, 12:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 533 Votes on 490 Posts
Mice can learn so if you have had snap traps set off but not catch anything they may have learned to avoid those contraptions. I've had good luck with the sticky tray rat/mouse traps. Occasionally mice can escape from glue boards but the tray type seem to catch everything. I would also leave poison out in several locations to hopefully kill the ones you don't catch.

Old 09-17-13, 12:43 PM
J
hi, I would get some snap traps and bait them with different baits, peanut butter, cheese,etc. I found tying a small piece if a slim to the food tray works great, poison works well but then you have to put up with smell of dead mice in your walls.also try to find out how they are getting in.as the others said there are usually more than one.

Old 09-17-13, 12:58 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Bat droppings can be misidentified as mouse droppings. Try to get a clear, close up photo of dropping(s) next time. Put something else in the photo so we can get a feel for the scale/size of it.

Bat droppings are uneven, slightly crooked and shiny. Mouse droppings are evenly formed.

Random droppings in less than usual places are what lead me to think of bat droppings. If you have an attic you should get in to check it out.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-17-13, 06:34 PM
G
Are mice attracted to bait or do they find it only if very close?

My traps (Victor) are untripped and baited with Jiff.

Old 09-18-13, 04:53 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Pnut butter is a strong attractant. Letís go back to basics and make sure that these are mouse droppings. Donít worry about attracting mice that arenít already there-itís not that strong and mice that close are coming in anyway.

Place traps in other parts of the house such as in basement/crawl on top of foundation wall underneath kitchen.

Letís make sure that these are mouse droppings though.

Old 09-18-13, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Another trick with snap traps is to bait them but do not set them. Leave them out for a week so they get accustomed to taking the food. Then after a week to set the traps so the mice think they are going in for a comfortable meal and their guard is down and BLAMO! A heavy wire springs down from nowhere and you've got one less mouse.

Old 09-18-13, 09:20 AM
G
One of the reasons I ask if their nose leads them to the trap are several Youtube videos of a home-made high-capacity trap.

A couple of these in my basement and crawlspace would be great--but only if a mouse is enticed to walk up the ramp. If not then it's just another neat idea that doesn't work.

PAbugman: Positively a mouse dropping.

Old 09-18-13, 09:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
They do use their noses so bait can help. They also spend time foraging about and traveling so they will walk across an un-baited sticky trap or snap trap. Bait just increases the odds that they will go to one particular spot.

Old 09-18-13, 12:46 PM
J
you could also bait the glue traps, just put some bait in the middle, pea butter, bird seed, etc. this will give you better odds they walk on it.i still find snap traps spread around the most effective.

Old 09-18-13, 06:13 PM
G
In the words of Tom the Cat: "I hate mieces to pieces!" I've never had any serious damage in a home but they did some irreversible damage to a 1970 Mach 1 I owned a few years ago. I've seen suggestions in this forum (and elsewhere) to set out moth balls but the mice in my car walked right past several sachets of fresh moth balls on their way to dine on my headliner all winter so I'm calling BS to that old advice.
Regular spring traps are effective but you only get one mouse per trap. I'm looking for long-term storage--and long-term killing. I have a Victor Tin Cat out in my storage addition on my shop but I've only nabbed about 3 mice in a year with that. Just not sure if it's attracting them like I hoped. On the other side of a big sliding divider (with large gaps) they continue to chew up owner's manuals, plans, receipts, gloves, rags...anything I leave in cabinets & drawers in my workshop. No actual food anywhere. They just shred that stuff for their nests.

Oh--I have also set out spring traps & glue boards never to see them again. I think they're building something to catch ME.

Old 09-19-13, 04:57 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
What about flying squirrels? They are small enough to go anywhere a mouse goes but big enough to get away with snap traps and glue traps. Flying squirrels have fooled me more than one.

Try rat traps that have expanded triggers so they can catch mouse sized animals too. Once in an attic I retrieved a trap that had a tail in it. Later that week I caught a tail less squirrel.

If you have that many mice that they are shredding your stuff then there should be droppings and urine everywhere, enough that you would be smelling it. I still suspect that rodents other than mice, but including mice are present.

Old 09-19-13, 05:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Earlier this year for the first time ever I had a mouse problem in my warehouse building at work. I tried spring traps but noticed that after catching a few and having a number tripped without a catch that I still found things chewed and mouse droppings but nothing caught. I have night vision equipment so I closed the doors and turned off the lights one evening. Sure enough the little buggers came out and would walk up to the traps, walk around the trap, and then get back on their original path. At least some of them had learned what a trap was and learned to avoid them and not go for the bait.

To catch mice I think you have to mix up your game. Try different traps. Set them in different places. Empty them immediately when they do make a catch. Set out a variety of poisons.

Old 09-19-13, 12:24 PM
J
if your traps are disappearing you might have something bigger than mice,if you don't have them get the over sized snap traps, also you could put a hole in the glue traps and tie them to something, also i heard they don't like the smell of spearmint, get some liquid stuff and use cotton balls,never tried it so i can't say for sure if it works.

Old 09-19-13, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 81 Posts
Just curious. How'd it go from finding one dropping on a chair cushion to everything shredded in your drawers and disappearing traps in just 2 days? Sounds like one giant mouse, lol!