more rental vermin - possible roaches

Old 09-25-13, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
more rental vermin - possible roaches

So my first floor called last night and said he caught/killed 2 roaches, they are SUPER clean.
Its a 4 family and all but 1 apt is super clean, but the dirtier apt has not complained and I KNOW the wife in there would like it wouldnt be their fault.
The lowest (basement apt) just moved some guy in though and who knows what he might have brought with him.

Anyway Im RUNNING up there tonight after work to do the usual
Syringe bait everywhere.
Boric acid powder
aresol spray
bait traps and glue traps

Im also going to the basement apt and lifting the tiles to bait poison in there.
When I once had this issue a while ago from some REALLY bad renters I also had the basement apt pop a cieling tile here and there and leave bombs off when she left for work.

Just want to know if anyone has some other advice. Cant really see where they are coming from since there were only 3. Im going to bait all apts and make sure everything is super clean. I will have to talk with my dirtier second floor even though I dont want to alarm anyone who may not have seen any.

Im super frustrated because I know 2 or 3 roaches out means 1000 in the walls.
I did possibly have one spotted like a year ago and did this regiment and nothing was seen after so Im hoping it works.

If PAbugman is out there, could REALLY use a tip.
thanks lol

Old 09-25-13, 01:45 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
First of all let’s make sure that they did in fact find roaches. Hopefully they saved the insect. Every year about this time people will show me ground beetles (carabids) that they think are roaches. Hard shell is beetles, soft shell is roaches.

You are proposing to do a lot of good thorough work but make sure it is a roach problem first. No way are there thousands in the walls if someone only recently found several.

Keep your powder and aeros away from the baited areas as you will ruin the bait and your baiting strategy.

Learn about Victor Roach Pheromone traps. These are specific to german roaches due to the “aggregation” pheromone found in them. These traps are not hit or miss like usual glue traps are. Putting these is kitchens, baths, utility areas, above drop ceilings, etc will tell you within days if there are roaches present. Understand that other insects will also stumble into these traps, but german roaches will be drawn to them because of the pheromones. Learn to tell the difference between roaches and beetles. Could save you lots of work and worry and $$$. Tell your tenants to save every questionable insect for proper identification. Keep us posted.

Old 09-26-13, 06:45 AM
Yes I should have mentioned I told him to save them.
He did, it was 3 of various sizes, no egg sacks on them I could see, luckily.

I did the boric acid around the appliances, some syringe bait in corners and under hidden areas, bait stations by sinks and garbage cans, and even these stations I found on clearance that were supposed to be food/pheromone traps. Also left some foggers in case so my basement apt can pop some tiles and set them off before work, but i asked her to hold those for now as I dont want the fog to ruiin the baits or scatter anything. Sadly me and her went through this years ago due to "The Merles" (our nickname for these degenerates I was conned into renting, who eventually ended up in jail for almost killing their newborn; this was well after their eviction with me).

Im going to look into those traps you recommend if this doesnt clear up.
The good thing is no other tenants saw ANY, I had to be "slightly" honest with them to get in and bait of course.
They are all clean and even my second floor was ACTUALLY clean. I think its because they just had their second baby and she is home all the time and paranoid.

The way I see it (and learned from my last exterminator experience) as long as they are all clean there will be no other food source besides the bait for them and they should whither quick, fingers crossed.

I HATE roaches and someone must have tracked them in, I highly doubt any of my tenants are dirty enough to bring them from anywhere. Could have been a visitor or laundry mat visit.

I told them if they see any in areas near the bait LEAVE them, they have to carry it back to their colony, as hard as it is, just dont kill them.

will keep you updated. My friend also has a connection to a retired exterminator who does one time treatments as well with the professional grade material.

Last edited by tevil; 09-26-13 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-27-13, 06:42 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Sounds like you’ve done good work tevil and understand the “patience” factor. I would add a reminder that they bait needs to be kept relatively fresh, too. The gel baits will be fresh and appealing for two weeks more or less; the actual stations will last longer. Yes, the cleaner the place is the more stress will be put on the roaches to find food.

If you ever get the Victor pheromone traps be aware that when in storage the plastic bag needs to be kept tightly closed. When placed in location the pheromone in each trap will last 90 days more or less. If one would forget to seal the bag when in storage the “90 day” period would begin.

Old 09-30-13, 06:12 AM
cool thanks.
luckily since those first 3 and the bait settings, no more have been seen. I think they may have been brought in by a visitor.
Funnily enough he had mentioned ants on the side porch (enclosed) in that visit. They never bothered him or went in the house so he never seemed concerned but I saw many there. After laying the roach baits apparently he feels the ants were vastly reduced as well. Could be the seasons but I thought it was humorous.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: