Carpenter Ants and winter

Old 10-01-13, 10:16 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpenter Ants and winter

I have a wood shed that has carpenter ant infestation. AT this point I plan to take the whole thing down and put up a plastic shed instead. The shed is 60 years old and the walls are in good shape but possibly full of ant nests. There was a groundhog who lived under the shed for awhile and dug down and now water runs underneath and sits there and rots it.

This shed is not in bad shape, but both the roof and the subflooring and probably supports underneath are most likely rotted and either feeding the carpenter ants or giving them a home. I have already ripped off the roof tiles - 3 layers of them! and sprayed what ant nests I found.

My plan is to wait until November to tear the shed down, in that I hope the ants will have died out because of cold temperatures.

Can anyone tell me whether this is a good plan? Do the ants go dormant after the temperature drops to a certain level? If I tear the shed down carefully i should be able to get the nests intact and avoid any ant eggs comign back next spring and going after my house. My neighbor behind has a rotting tree trunk near the shed too.

Thank you for your help.

Old 10-01-13, 03:51 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts
My understanding is that carpenter ants can live dormantly down to zero fahrenheit, which it rarely gets to inside a wall void and never inside a living tree trunk or under the soil.

Winter wonít stop those ants, especially not November. Be ready to spray as you work. Donít have to get all of them. Sounds like youíre ready.

Old 10-04-13, 05:14 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I may call in an exterminator on this one. One thing now is there are or have been a good nest of spiders inside the shed and I hate killing spiders if they are not in the house - they eat the bugs I don't like! so will wait til they die off from cold.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: