Identification help of Bug

Old 10-19-13, 10:28 AM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identification help of Bug

Hey Guys,

I found this bug on my comforter this morning and hoping it's not a bed bug. I attached some pictures of it (looks like it tucked it's legs in for the photo shoot and is playing dead in the photos). This guys very small, it's about 3mm (est), or about half the size of a grain of rice.

Wondering if anyone could give us closure as to what this critter might be. Attached some close up photos from my phone.

Thanks Much!

Attached Images   
Old 10-19-13, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd guess some kind of carpet beetle though I can't find an exact match. Body shape is definitely about right.

Old 10-19-13, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,874 Posts
I was almost thinking ladybug.

In the pic below is a bedbug.
Name:  bed_bug_on_hand.jpg
Views: 37236
Size:  14.2 KB

Bedbug on hand.

Old 10-19-13, 03:11 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-20-13, 09:08 AM
C
oh my

It's about the size of a bed bug, and it had three legs on each side of it with two antenna's things, but the colors just don't seem to match. this critter has black with white spots and a red dot on it's end. I'm hoping it's not a bed bug--

Old 10-20-13, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 323 Likes on 257 Posts
It looks like a Ladybug, which is a Beetle, so I would guess it's some sort of Beetle.
Doesn't look like a Bedbug to me.

Old 10-20-13, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Our bug expert (who also happens to be in PA) is on a vacation until about the 22nd. You might try emailing your county extension office or whatever University is affiliated with them.

Old 10-21-13, 05:42 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Hello all! Just got back a while ago.

Not a bedbug. Does have carpet beetle appearance except for the reddish part. The coloration doesnít look like any ladybug Iím familiar with but the body shape and size is correct. I donít think this will be any kind of insect to worry about. This time of year many outdoor insects are looking for a place to overwinter.

Gunguy gives good advice as to seeing the County Extension Office. Iíve used them myself.

If it gets worse or when you learn more, please keep us posted.

Old 10-23-13, 07:35 PM
C
Cool

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input, as it's calmed my nerves a bit over the slim possibility of bed bugs.

I checked all around and can't find any evidence of any kind of bed bug or other infestation, so I'd have to side with PABedbug, and presume it was a harmless random occurrence. Appreciate everyone's input and help -- very supportive community. Rock n' Roll!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: