Mice problem

Old 11-07-13, 07:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mice problem

I live in a 3 unit house. Joint from both side. Mice come and go on all three floors. Create holes in the sheetrock to find a way out. I have used steel wool and caulk to patch holes. Also tried using expandable foam. I purchased rodenticide from online
I have heard good things about this mice poison but the problem is not going away. I continue to see mice droppings in certain areas. Can anyone suggest something for joint houseing rodent issue?

Last edited by PAbugman; 11-08-13 at 04:44 AM. Reason: removed link to retailer.
Old 11-08-13, 02:41 AM
F
Don't bother buying those pellets online...just go to the store and buy them there

And while you are there, buy a box for each of your neighbours

Old 11-08-13, 04:52 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
If your mice are that prolific that they are chewing thru drywall that indicates to me that there is a major infestation in the entire building, basement to attic.

I personally prefer the bait blocks as opposed to the pellets. Sometimes rodents will simply take the pellets and stash them for later as is their nature. It gives the appearance of them being consumed when they are not.

The free shipping that was advertised in your link refers to a full case of the pellets. If you bought that much then you have enough to do the entire house and more. That’s a lot of money to spend when the landlord should be responsible for this type of pest problem. Homeowners typically don’t buy that much online, since as fairplay noted you can buy the same “active ingredient” locally. Now maybe NJ is different though.

Make sure your landlord understands the extent of the problem.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-08-13, 04:58 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
#1 The landlord should be informed of this problem and they should be having a real exterminator taking care of it.
Just killing them in your apartment is not going to do much good.
Decon can be bought at any Hardware, Wal-Mart, Home Store, grocery store, not sure why you ever ordered it on line.
If you have kids or pets inside I would not be using it.
Use sticky traps with peanut butter on then instead.
Unless someone finds where there getting in from outside there just going to keep coming in.

Old 02-27-14, 11:43 AM
J
I still have the issue even after purchasing Final brand pellets. I had it put out all over the place. Only thing for me try is the Glue traps. I'll just have to be a cruel person and just attack them anyway possible. I also bought the Victor electric traps, but those are failure as well.

Old 02-27-14, 01:15 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Are they eating/taking the pellets? As I pointed out earlier sometimes they simply stash the pellets somewhere. I prefer bait blocks for that reason.

Do you see any rodent droppings that are the same shade of color as the pellets? If so, then they are eating it and those rodents will die. It takes several days after eating the bait until they die. I suspect that you are getting re-infestation from neighbors/outside. Can you bait in the attic and basement? Is the landlord giving you any relief?

Thanks for the update.

Old 02-27-14, 01:53 PM
J
I own the place that's why i bought these baits. Baits are red color but i haven't seen any red/redish dropping. I even noticed that they are not eating it b/c the package is not broken/ripped. Mice suppose to chew threw the packets to eat the bait. I even put some out in a open cap but still its not working.

Old 02-27-14, 02:02 PM
G
No, no poison !

I'm on a farmstead and get these vermin all the time, especially with this brutal cold winter in the Mid West area.
I use Victor mouse traps with the yellow (Cheese like) platforms. Two for a $1 maybe ?
Don't need any baits with this type. First tie a string to the rear of the trap (a couple feet maybe) and secure to a fixed object. Next set the trap and place Perpendicular to ANY baseboard or wall.
I've put them in the corners next to the garage doors with great success. They walk right into it cause it's in their path. Clean the trap when caught and reset. Done. They usually have a minimum family of 2 + so be ready for them. Good luck.

Note: Baiting them attracts more.....

Old 02-28-14, 06:23 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
After re-reading the posts and the chewing thru drywall, I’m wondering if it is a mouse problem as opposed to a rat or squirrel problem. Rats are harder to bait as they are very wary and squirrels often times just won’t eat anything they aren’t familiar with. Chewing thru drywall is extreme behavior for mice. There may be mice present but I’m not convinced that is what is doing the chewing. Tell us about the attic and basement; do you see insulation torn up/disturbed? Do you hear chewing anywhere inside the house? Can you show us photos of the fecal droppings for identification?

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 02-28-14, 07:53 AM
J
Well these mice are not pocking any holes now as far as i know. The one that was visible was patched up with Joint compound. After that i haven't seen any exposed holes. I have put steel wool around the heating baseboard pipes. Just got few glue boards those fold able one and put one in my pantry and one behind the stove. Dropping are just the typical black stuff. Nothing unusual looking. I am giving up on poison. I do have tenant on my 1st floor. The house i live is a 3 family house. Tenant is fairly clean and they don't have much clutter in the house. Mouse still comes on the kitchen counter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: