Large hairy scary moths

Old 12-18-13, 08:04 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large hairy scary moths

Since we moved in we have noticed large hairy brown moths around our house. This summer there was a huge outbreak of them where we live and we actually noticed them coming trough our gas fireplace. Now that its winter and minus 30 we believed they would all be dead however about once a week we notice one flying around the house. We have no idea where they are coming from or how to get rid of them. Please help

Old 12-18-13, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,416 Posts
How about a picture of these brown moths?

Old 12-19-13, 02:44 AM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
How big and like X I want to see a picture. The description sounds like the common moth in my area, harmless. It is "fingernail" moths (my dead brother's name) that eat holes in wool.

Old 12-19-13, 05:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 703 Likes on 619 Posts
Old 12-19-13, 06:45 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Hello pudwillci1:
Photos are a very important part of identification. Id’ing any insect, especially flying insects is paramount towards finding their harborage, habitat and an eventual solution.

When you say “around” your house and an “outbreak” of the moths does that mean interior or exterior or both?

How long have you lived in that house?

With flying insects the solution is to find their harborage and break their life cycle. This is not usually done with insecticides as they will kill exposed stages but not the egss, larvae, nymphs necessarily. Knowing what the are will point us in the proper direction.

Tks.

Old 12-19-13, 09:16 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next time we see one flying I will capture a photo. They are very similar to brown moths. I don't believe they are eating any cloths. They just tend to freak us out and drive my cat crazy. We moved into the house in may. There are a lot less but still find the occasional one since summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: