Ants in SIngapore

Old 12-26-13, 11:41 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ants in SIngapore

Ok I have a challenge for everyone. I am an American living in Singapore and my house backs up to the jungle. I have a major ant problem in my yard.

I just recently placed 12 of the terro outdoor bait stations but I want some other ideas. I don't care if what you recommend is radioactive I want to KILL ANTS! I am tired of walking outside and sometimes in 30 seconds having ants swarming up to my knees.

I am committed to executing an ongoing bait, spraying... program. I usually order my supplies from Amazon.

The picture shows one bait station about 10 secs after placed right next to an ant trail. One station the ants buried in dirt over night. They literally just encompassed it into their nest.

Can anyone also tell me what type of Ants I am dealing with?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 04:54 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Have no idea what kind of ants they are; you will need someone local and objective to tell you that. It will be helpful to know what they are for developing a strategy that hits ďhomeĒ so to speak.

Here we are taught to place our baits close to but not on the nest and to not disrupt the nest as ants get defensive quickly and it can look as if they are voraciously taking and eating the bait when they are not.

Baits work slow so as long as they are taking it then you are making progress. Keep plenty out there as the more ants there are the more bait you will need.

Try a granular bait that you can scatter. Advance granular ant bait (abamectin) is a good one.

If you can spray an insecticde then buy a concentrate that has ďfipronilĒ as active ingredient. Termidor, Taurus are two brand names. These are residual insecticdes, no need to spray the ants directly. Fipronil is non-repellent so the ants wonít even know it is there which leads people to think it isnít working. Be patient as with the baits. If the baits or fipronil worked too fast then it would simply kill the foragers before they get it back to the nest.

Spray tree trunks, stumps up to 4í from ground level. Spray house, shed, etc foundation and soil perimeter where they meet.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-27-13, 05:05 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
Just my opinion but you are fighting a losing battle. You are not going to win over a jungle area. You best learn how to live with them as opposed to eliminating them. What are you neighbors doing? How does the local government suggest you do?

Old 12-27-13, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I spend a lot of time in Costa Rica which also seems to have a million different types of ants. The best thing for killing and keeping them out of the house that I have found is Cynoff WP which contains Cypermethrin. It's a powder you mix with water and spray around the perimeter, in corners and wherever you have a problem. It has very good residual affect so it protects for months.

Old 12-27-13, 07:41 PM
T
I am pretty successful keeping them out of the house. I do notice sometimes when i put some terro PC liquid bait in and around their trails it looks like they cover it with dirt and small rocks. DO you think this means they are just covering it up and not eating it? When they do come into the house I put down two different types of bait the terro PC which has borax and then Raid ant gel that has Thiamethoxam. Usually within 24 hours after placing bait they are all gone. I also keep the exterior of the house windows.... sprayed with Raid Max bug barrier (blue gallon jug) active ingredient is Deltamethrin.

Outside is the problem. Ant trails are horrific. I have a nice deck area that I can't use because ants are everywhere. I have at least two distinct colonies that I can see the entries to and can trace ant trails into.

Has anyone used the knees outdoor ant bait stations that accept two different types of bait? What types of baits would you recommend in them? I am thinking a liquid and a granular.

Is it better to used the advanced granular bait in a station or just apply to trails?

Old 12-27-13, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 713 Votes on 660 Posts
Build a moat. Crocodiles are optional.

Old 12-27-13, 08:39 PM
T
I ordered some advanced granular bait, some cypermathin and some fipronil. Will take about 10 days to get here will post an update in about a month after i get it spray and wait two weeks to see how it responds. Keep the ideas coming. Amazon is awesome getting all that stuff delivered for free to my FPO address.

Old 12-28-13, 04:55 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Use Fipronil based insecticide exterior; fipronil is non-repellent; cypermethrin and deltamethrin are repellent in nature. Spray fipronil on house exterior, under and around deck, around ant mounds, nests, tree trunks, etc.

Using repellent insecticides near the baits and near fipronil will work against you. I would confine the repellents to the interior at this point. When control is achieved then you can use all of them as a maintenance.

The granular bait I would try both ways; in stations and scattered. Scatter it at dusk, when no rain or heavy humidity is projected. The label should help with strategies.

Rain has little effect on fipronil especially if it has a chance to dry first. Fipronil stays put; thatís why it is a valuable termiticide as well.

Using gels, pastes, liquids, granular baits in combo is a good idea as ants dietary needs change from protein to carbs at different times of year.

Ant colonies, at least here in the northeast as we are taught, can only get so big before a new queen emerges and recruits a cross section of the colony and takes off, forming a ďsatelliteĒ colony. Even when you have success, be prepared for the satellite colonies to form again in the future. Termidor, here in northeast, is applied twice a year to the exterior. A jungle environment will be harsher on any chemical so treat as needed. You will learn as you treat and gauge results. Iíll offer more hints as they come to me.

Old 01-26-14, 12:36 AM
T
So far I have been pretty successful. I have been using the liquid tero PC bait and the gourmet liquid ant bait in bait stations. For about two weeks I had to refill the stations every 3 days (i used three bait stations per colony). Now there is virtually no ant activity near the three biggest colonies that I had. One colony I didn't attack as diligent and it is still active. I also used the advanced granular bait around the colonies. They ate it up like caviar for the first two treatments but now they won't touch it. Today I just sprayed the Fipronil. I think I am way on my way to having these *******s under control.

Old 01-26-14, 07:12 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Well done Tareyton! Save the granular ant bait for a different time or season as ants nutritional requirements change so they may accept the granules when they dont want the carbs that are the liquids.

Based on our results with fipronil here in PA I think you will be satisfied. Just dont use cypermethrin (repellent residual insecticide) near the bait or the fipronil (non-repellent residual).

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Old 01-28-14, 07:09 AM
T
Fipronil is amazing. withing 24 hours of spraying it I haven't seen a single ant! One of my colonies was in some cracks in a small vertical cement wall. I can see tons of dead ants in the cracks that they were coming out of. Thanks for all the advice. One more question, what is your favorite or in your opinion best type of refillable bait stations? I have just been using the tero PC outdoor prefilled ones and then refilling them but they really aren't 100% tamper proof. I have had monkeys break into a couple of them (yes I have monkeys in my yard like most people in the North East US have raccoons). They also don't hold up that well during very heavy rain.

Old 01-28-14, 05:07 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad to hear the fipronil is working; it will continue to work even in a wet environment as long as it gets to dry after initial application.
Great for ants and termites.

As far as refillable stations go I really canít help you. I dont and never have used them. Nothing against them itís just that Iíve never even tried them. They are a good idea but the monkeys sure can short circuit that. Indoors I bait into cracks and crevices and voids spaces with the syringes and outdoors Iíll scatter the granules providing that no rain will occur before morning. Most of our exterior treatments consist of power spraying or hand spraying.

When using fipronil outdoors we donít see a need for ant baiting at least here in the northeast. Thanks for keeping us updated; I was curious how the fipronil would work in your part of the world.