fire ants

Old 12-30-13, 04:47 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
fire ants

I'm in south Florida. Using Sevins powder currently but they seem to just move the mound. Is there a way to actually win the war?

Old 12-30-13, 04:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I used to live in central fla and I don't think the war on bugs is winnable but you can keep them manageable

It's been 20+ yrs but what worked well on ants for me was Golden Marlin's Fly Bait. I bought it at a local feed store. Sprinkling the granules over ant mounds as soon as you see them seemed to keep their numbers down ... I think they mostly just moved to the neighbor's property

Old 12-30-13, 05:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
... I think they mostly just moved to the neighbor's property
That sounds ideal!

More words More words More words

Old 12-30-13, 08:13 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Though we don’t have fire ants here in northeast I believe that baits are a good way to get rid of them.

There are “mound drenches” that I’ve read about. Something to the effect of pounding a rebar stake into the mound, removing it and inserting a funnel to get an insecticide down into the mound. A fipronil based insecticde would be a good choice in that it would work well but I don’t know if it is labeled for that usage.

You will get good advice from someone local, such as a county agricultural agent who can help you with chemical selection and baiting strategies. Keep us posted with what you find as I’m curious.

Old 12-30-13, 09:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've often heard that pouring boiling water into the mound will kill them ..... but it also kills the grass so I've never tried it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: