Fleas Next Door - Neighbor won't Cooperate

Old 03-16-14, 11:08 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fleas Next Door - Neighbor won't Cooperate

I share an 80' boundary with one neighbor in Southern California. The neighbor's dog occasionally gets fleas which come into my yard. My wife is extra-sensitive to flea bites. The neighbor (non-owner) is uncooperative, content to let his pet suffer, and his house deteriorate. After about three years of trying to work with him and the owner (who basically rubber-stamps whatever his relative/tenant says), I reported him to County Animal Services who initially issued a citation. Subsequently, however, the Animal Services Officer determined the problem was solved after a favorable review, although admitting likelihood of recurrence. Before I call Animal Services again, the situation would have to get out of hand again, which I don't want to happen.

The 80' boundary is in two sections of chain-link fence. Roughly half is sturdy, the other half is weak. I don't want to build a wall without the neighbor's cooperation for drainage and other reasons, but if I had his cooperation I wouldn't need a wall. Just today I taped rosin paper 36" high over the weak section of the fence, and tied up plywood and other scraps against part of the stronger portion. I'm not sure if this will help. Even if it does, it won't last very long, of course.

The exterminator (American Pest Control) should be here tomorrow. I have had monthly service from them for the last three years as well. They will go to court with me if that is necessary to state the problem is coming from next door. They spray my side of the fence, but that doesn't really address the issue. I shopped the web, made phone calls, and also tried Terminix, but none will guarantee they can keep the fleas out in this situation. Unfortunately I'm also told my chances for any sort of legal remedy are slim.

I've tried lime and commercially available insecticides. One blog said that only agricultural lime works, but that is not available in this area. It's on my shopping list for the next time I drive out of the West/Southwest. I guess I could probably order some too, if it would work. If anyone can confirm this, or has other suggestions, I would be appreciative.

Old 03-17-14, 04:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Stay with animal services, as the dog is really a primary concern. His health is foremost. The fleas will go away once his health is restored or he is removed to another home. Lime, insecticides, Terminix, all are secondary lines of defense, and are not solving the problem.

Old 03-17-14, 04:34 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I have no knowledge at all that lime would work as an insecticide. I’ve never heard of using lime for fleas.

If lime had any effect at all, I suspect it would be on the larval stage but if the dog isn’t in your yard regularly then that part of the life cycle isn’t happening in your yard. Flea larvae live in shaded areas such as under porches, under shrubbery, etc.

You’re in a tough situation. Regular insecticide treatments such as you’re having will help keep it from getting worse; not much re-assurance I know.

Old 03-17-14, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Treating your yard with with permethrin or chlorpyrifos might be an option. I am not very familiar with chlorpyrifos but permethrin is toxic to cats so care must be taken with any chemical treatment but I assume your exterminator has explored all options legal in California.

Old 03-17-14, 07:53 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's good to know I didn't overlook anything obvious, and the instruction is helpful. I guess I'll just keep trying to work it out with my neighbor or the owner. I appreciate the timely response!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: