what is this? Ant Queen?

Old 06-03-14, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what is this? Ant Queen?

Dealt with carpenter ants a couple years ago and was rid of them thanks to terro liquid bait.

Just found concrete ants in the house but I know where they are coming in from and have been dealing with them inside and out.

BUT TODAY I saw this on my downstairs floor. It wasnt very mobile and actually quite lethargic. It looks like a carpenter ant, but was more red than black.

It was not aggressive at all and I made the mistake of throwing it outside instead of squishing it cause I just figured it wandered in. Should I be worried, is this a queen or a mating carpenter ant looking for some loving?
I know the males die shortly after mating so perhaps this is why he was so lazy?
Im just worried now I have another carpenter ant nest growing somewhere and he was in there trying to find or found it, or worse its a queen starting a colony.

It was pretty big almost arouns like 3/4 of an inch long and pretty bulky.

thanks

Attached Images   
Old 06-03-14, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 144 Posts
Hopefully I'm wrong, but it looks a bit like a termite.

Old 06-03-14, 11:37 AM
no def not a termite, its has the 3 body parts of an ant

Old 06-03-14, 12:22 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Itís an ant and a reproductive ant as are the winged species of ants/termites so I would call it a queen, supplemental queen, etc.

Donít worry about it, at least not yet. Just monitor and watch for a pattern of activity over time. If patterns are noticed, then itís Termidor/Taurus (fipronil) time.

On the other hand this would be a good time of year to spray a fipronil based product around the exterior wall/soil perimeter to include the base of tree trunks near the house going about 4 feet up. All ants, including carpenter ants, are moving and foraging right now.

Old 06-04-14, 09:14 AM
yeah I sprayed some store based poisons, but I was thinking of getting some demon WP again or something to spray around outside.

This thing was a BEAST. I would hate to squish anything because I do know they have their place so hopefully it will take me moving her as a gesture of faith and stay outside in the area of the neighbors freshly cut down tree trunk and leave me alone. lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: