Help identifying dead bugs from yard

Old 08-28-14, 02:09 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help identifying dead bugs from yard

Hello. A couple of days ago my 3 year old son let out a yelp and I discovered a big "bug" that appeared to be dead sitting perched on the side of his foot. He cried for awhile saying that it hurt. I initially thought it had stung him until I realized it was dead. He's been fine since then.

Today I was out in the yard for a few minutes and I discovered at least 5 more of these creatures, all of them apparently dead. A couple were laying on the ground, but at least 3 of them were perched on the side of vertical structures.

I've also noticed a number of small circular holes in this area of the yard. Not sure if the holes are related to the bugs.

Would appreciate it if anyone can help me figure out what these things are, and if we should be concerned about the kids (1 and 3 years old) playing in this area of the yard.

See pictures below.

Name:  bug1.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  bug2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  30.9 KB

Name:  bug3.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  bug4.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  44.1 KB

Name:  bug5.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.8 KB

Name:  holes1.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  51.2 KB

Old 08-28-14, 02:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
They look like the cast off shells of cicadas. They attach themselves to tree limbs or whatever they can, crawl out of the old shell and mate. Then they drop to the ground and dig in for another 7 years.

Old 08-28-14, 02:23 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
These are the cast skins from cicadas. The adult emerged from these cast skins and the holes are most likely where they spent the bulk of their life. Harmless to us. Search cicadas on the web.

Good photos like yours make it easier for us to help. Tks.

Old 08-28-14, 02:23 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Looks like the nymph skin of a cicadae.

Old 08-28-14, 02:45 PM
J
A unanimous consensus! A hearty "thank you" to the three of you who replied! Now I just need to convince the kiddos that they need not be fearful of them.

Old 08-28-14, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you remember having a noisy invasion in the past few months? The one we had last fall measured 85 dB all day long!! Dogs love to eat them, and our vet said it does no harm, and they are full of protein. We did not have to put feed in our bird feeders for 2 months.

Old 08-28-14, 06:31 PM
J
Hmm...nothing that I've noticed or that any of the rest of the family has mentioned. We've had all the windows shut for the last few days though with A/Cs running. Windows were opened today and should be for the next few days so we'll see if we hear anything different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: