How many mice can I have?

Old 03-03-15, 02:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many mice can I have?

Using this $4 Victor catch and release trap over the last 2 weeks I've got probably 20 mice so far. I set the trap inside the same kitchen drawer before going to bed and in the morning I have one or two of them inside. Also catch some during the day if I'm at home. I let them go in a field one house over 100 feet away. Can they somehow find there way back? And how many could there be left? I've heard them scurrying around in the suspended ceiling of the basement but thought there might be just a few of them.

Old 03-03-15, 03:19 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
The released mice may or may not be getting back in but I’m sure that mice are re-infesting in any case. Get more of these traps and set them in more location especially attached garage if any.

Can you get traps above the basement drop ceiling? Solving a rodent problem by trapping generally requires multiple traps and an active “trapper”.

There’s no telling how many mice there may be. Carefully check all pet food storage, grass seed, bird seed. Speaking of which, do you feed the birds outside the house and if so how close to the house? Seeds on the ground are a major rodent attractant. Keep us posted.

Old 03-03-15, 03:48 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Ultimately you will need to find the point or points where they are getting in, but for now just keep trapping. Eventually you will get most of them and then seal up those locations, as the outdoors has an infinite supply of replacements for the ones you are relocating.

As for the 100', no where near far enough (think miles) as even if those particular ones don't find their way back, they are adding to the population close to your home. As their population grows, their territory expands, and they come knocking at your door.

Bud

Old 03-03-15, 04:01 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Bud is correct. An exterminator explained it to me. A mouse walks around the house, close to it. As soon as it feels a little warm air escaping from the house, he or she makes a turn directly into the hole where he feels the warm air. There is no limit on the numbers. You have to do the same thing.

Old 03-03-15, 04:01 PM
A
No pet food, grass seed or bird seed. As for their population growing, both neighbors across the street have cats not to mention the foxes, hawks and owls in the woods next to the field.

Old 03-03-15, 04:16 PM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
You cannot exterminate mice by trapping within the house. That is only treating the symptom. You need to eliminate the reason, source or ability for them to get in. If your neighbors have exposed garbage they will continue to come. Bird seed and grain left about, or fields that are not tended to. By that I mean fields that are left to put in junk and fill and trash. If left to nature there should be sufficient predictors to keep them at bay. I'm not a fan of a cat as a mouse catcher, but a good mouser can help. Once you eliminate the source then you can seal all those openings. If you're in a town then contact your local government. Even if they don't do anything, the more exposure to the problem the more likely something will be done.

I live in a suburb of Buffalo, NY. In recent years the city and other burbs north of me me started using totes for garbage to help reduce the rat problem. As a result they are moving south and my town recently had to mandate use of totes to curb the influx. Soon towns south of me will also be using totes as the rat population moves.

Old 03-03-15, 08:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There is no shortage of mice in the world, quit releasing them alive.

Old 03-04-15, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Votes on 377 Posts
I agree with stickshift!! I had to laugh at my youngest son when he had a mouse in his house, he trapped and released it several times but it always came back [assuming it was the same one] after 4-5 times - he killed it and had no more mice problem.

Old 03-04-15, 09:18 AM
J
I'll second Bud's comment about 100 feet not being nearly far enough. My driveway is 100 feet long. It takes me about 10 seconds to walk to the end to get my mail. If I can cover 100 feet in 10 seconds, a fast, scurrying little mouse will find it's way back to your house in about 5 seconds.

Old 03-04-15, 10:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 960 Votes on 882 Posts
I live in the country. Whenever the weather turns cold in the fall and whenever the farmers are harvesting or plowing fields we have to make sure we keep the doors and garage doors closed. In fall the buggers are looking for a warm place to spend the winter. When the fields get worked they are chased out of their territory and pushed into a new area.

The distance away is not a big factor. Open area 10 feet wide or 1'000 feet doesn't matter. If they are pushed out into the open they will keep moving until they find cover for safety. It's become a bit of a sick past time to grab a beverage and relax in the shade when the fields are getting plowed and watch the hawks swoop down and grab dinner out of the yard. Then there are the snakes but I suppose that's another story but in my area if you have mice... snakes are not far behind.

Old 03-04-15, 04:28 PM
It's become a bit of a sick past time to grab a beverage and relax in the shade when the fields are getting plowed and watch the hawks swoop down and grab dinner out of the yard. Then there are the snakes but I suppose that's another story but in my area if you have mice... snakes are not far behind.
And that is as it should be. Nothing sick about it. Nature at is best. Now if you want to talk about spiders, well there is no place for them.

Old 03-05-15, 11:06 AM
A
5 more today so far since I'm home all day from the snow. A half hour after letting one go and putting the trap back, another one is caught. Can they find their way back to where they came from? i.e. by scent or something? There are other houses between mine and the field.

Old 03-05-15, 11:29 AM
Why are you putting them back? It makes no sense. It's immaterial whether they are the same ones or not. You're putting mice and/or rats back into the system. The point of rat traps and poisons is to eliminate the vermin. Do not return them to the outside. They will come back if not at your house then another.

Old 03-05-15, 11:32 AM
A
I'm putting them out, not back.

Old 03-05-15, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Votes on 377 Posts
It doesn't make sense not to exterminate them, you'll never win the war with catch and release!

Old 03-05-15, 12:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If you're going to let the mice live, starting hitting their back with a little spray paint or something so you can tell you're catching the same mice over and over. Then start killing them.

Old 03-05-15, 12:05 PM
If you can't stomach the idea of the kill then get one or two well trained cats and / or seed your yard with garden snakes.

OR

The Romans use to have what were called dormouse. "In Roman times, they were fattened, stuffed and served as a delicacy." Special areas of the home were used to store them.
"It is common in Europe and was famously eaten as a delicacy by the ancient Romans".

See

Edible dormouse introduced to Britain by Romans is named as No 1 pest | Daily Mail Online

for brief history.

My daughter is a Latin teacher and she just did a classroom lecture on Roman culture.

Old 03-05-15, 12:07 PM
A
Why does every one think they are coming back? There is snow on the ground so any ground level entry points are covered, not there were any in the first place. There are other houses closer to the field than mine.

Old 03-05-15, 12:15 PM
You don't get it. They number in the hundreds and maybe in the thousands for you immediate area. And they will borrow through snow just as easily as dirt. And yes they could very easily find your house again because all animals have keen sense of smell. And if your house has what they're looking for then they will come back. But if they don't others will. And the more your house can "feed" the more they will multiply. Eliminate, clean and seal is the only solution. Or the Roman alternative.

PS...Besides most likely they are nesting in your house at this point.

Old 03-05-15, 12:35 PM
A
I know they are nesting here, probably for a few years now. And that I've heard them in the ceiling, but never actually seeing them and thinking there are only a few of them, I never bothered to do anything about it. Straightening up the basement for the first time in 10 years and seeing some dropping and chewed on shop towels and boxes got me started on trapping them. Will see.

Old 03-05-15, 12:42 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I realize some home owners might be sensitive to killing anything, however, once you find their bathroom, somewhere inside your home, you will be far more concerned about making sure none return. Some of the messes I have run into are worse than,,, well enough of that, they are disgusting.

As for the snow covering where they get in, probably just the opposite as they love deep snow, it protects them from predators and provides a nice moderate climate down there. With as many as you are indicating it is likely they have easy access to the outside for food, under the snow.

It is certainly fine to catch and release, just find a field well away from everyone and let them go. The more traps as suggested the better.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: