Best products for mosquito

Old 04-07-15, 02:42 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Best products for mosquito

the ground around my property is pretty saturated with ground water and so after rain the backyard feels muddy which obviously is a great breeding ground for mosquitoes.
What product would you recommend for a long term control (say 2-4 weeks).
I don't mind re-applying the product as long as it is effective for more than a few days.

BTW... no pets here so I can go with something more potent.

thanks!

Old 04-07-15, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
Muddy ground isn't a breeding ground for mosquitoes.....standing water is.

Old 04-08-15, 04:20 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think that any product would last that long. I would grade the yard so that the water runs off it.

Old 04-08-15, 05:01 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
Though Iíve not performed mosquito control I believe that you do need standing water to breed mosquitos. I find the attached article very informative. Professor Potter from U of Kentucky works closely with the pest control industry in a variety of issues, especially bed bugs. Anything he writes is worth reading.

Mosquitoes: Practical Advice for Homeowners | University of Kentucky Entomology

Old 04-11-15, 07:12 PM
P
thanks for the link.... I can't argue about the standing water vs mud....I just know I have a lot of them around my property and it always gets worse after a main rainfall while the ground is soaking wet and muddy

Old 04-12-15, 03:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I used to live in orange county fla, formerly named mosquito county In the area I lived, the county sprayed for mosquitoes every thursday night about 10 months of the year. I agree with Pulpo that you aren't likely to find any long lasting spray. As already mentioned, the better you can get your lot to drain and remove any/all sources of standing water the better off you will be.

Old 04-12-15, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Your situation is different, and I don't recommend this due to second generation poisoning, but we had a problem with mosquitoes where rain water would fill up old tires, metal castings and the like in a storage/junk yard. A few drops of diesel fuel in each "pond" took care of the problem until the part was disturbed enough to rid it of water. It seemed to form a surfactant that spread pretty evenly on top where the mosquitoes would lay eggs, or breed, or whatever they do.

Old 04-12-15, 06:30 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
One of the problems with controlling mosquitoes by spraying where they hatch is the limited area you are treating. Even if you eliminated all breeding on your property (unless you own a lot of property) you will still be contending with the overflow from the surrounding population. I haven't tried one as yet, but there are contraptions that attract mosquitoes and eliminate them in some way, catch them or zap them. The people I have talked to claim great results and one in particular lives next to a very large wet land on the Jersey coast. His pool could not be used due to the attacking critters, but after one week of with his zapper we attended a large pool party and, no bugs. His zapper would occasionally sound off, but it was a sensation of, got another one.

As I said, no personal experience, but I like the idea of eliminating them without the poisons.

Bud

Old 04-13-15, 05:47 AM
P
Bud - if you can find out what brand / model your friend is using that would be greatly appreciated.
I read lot of reviews and they all seem to indicate that those electronic devices/ zappers don't really work.

thanks!

Old 04-13-15, 07:38 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The zapper was many years ago and we had heard the same thing, but it certainly did the job for him. Here in Maine they started marketing a propane powered bug collector. The burning of the propane produces CO2 (I think) which attracts the mosquitoes and out infamous black flies. There are a few options now, just google "propane bug collector".

Now, I'm not sure that the zappers will work well on black flies, but I have a small one for in the house use. When the kids would be in and out and end up with a few pesky mosquitoes to ruin my sleep I tried a zapper inside. Wife thought I was crazy until it zapped a few times and she could see the dead critter. She stopped calling me crazy. So zappers do definitely attract mosquitoes.

Bud

Old 04-13-15, 08:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 383 Posts
I had several of those zappers in use when I lived in fla. As far as I know they were just run of the mill zappers [25 yrs ago] While they didn't kill all the flying insects, it did make a big dent in them. Made me grin whenever I heard one of them getting fried

Old 04-13-15, 09:51 PM
E
I use Permethrin and it works great.

Old 05-12-15, 02:14 AM
I
Cool Try mosquito fogger

You can try mosquito fogger with more potent insecticide. You will need to reapply it first every other day or so, but after a week or do you will have to fog your area only once a week. These foggers are very effective and easy to get rid of your mosquito problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: