Possible carpenter bee or wasp stuck in ceiling /wall

Old 06-17-15, 09:35 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possible carpenter bee or wasp stuck in ceiling /wall

We are renting a townhouse in MS. For the past 2-3 days, I have been hearing an insect buzzing in the ceiling its kind sound very close to the buzzing of a fly. The first day I heard, the buzzing was very loud accompanied by a noise that sounded as if it was trying to bore through the ceiling. The next day, the buzzing wasn't very low that you had to turn off any and every thing that made noise just to hear it. Today the buzzing moved from near the center to the corner of the room.

We have had a problem earlier this year with wasp getting into the house. We killed two that we assumed it made its way into another bedroom from the return air vent. On top the wasp issue there have been carpenter bees floating around the fence in the backyard but never a problem with them inside. Also there used to be one carpenter bee hovering outside the bedroom window where the annoying buzzing is heard.

Since the bedroom is on the second floor, we dont have a ladder to inspect the area for holes made by the bee that may have gotten into the house.

I have put my ear up against the wall and I dont hear any other buzzing so Im assuming it is possibly one trapped bee/wasp that got lost. It buzzes every 3-7 Minutes for only 1-2 seconds and it isnt as loud as it was on the first day. Maybe its dying? Idk How long do they live? I read that carpenter bees can and will bore its way through drywall. Thats my only fear so I have been closely inspecting all walls and ceiling in the area .

I was wondering if I should wait it out to see if it dies or go ahead and inform the landlord. The only thing about the landlord is he isnt very helpful, he takes forever to get things done . We have only had 2 problems since living here and he was annoyed both times we informed him of the problems.

Old 06-17-15, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,529 Votes on 1,412 Posts
You should at least notify the landlord of a possible insect problem.

Old 06-17-15, 07:10 PM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
Are you sure it's a bee or wasp? There are bombs you cn use to fumigate the apartment.

Old 06-18-15, 05:44 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
This behavior is not typical of carpenter bees. If it is a bee/wasp/hornet it could be a bumble-bee as they look like carpenter bees and will nest in wall voids and such. When you hear the buzzing try to locate it as best you can much as you are now. When the buzzing settles down, rap on the wall and see if you can stimulate it to buzz again. Stethoscopes are helpful in this too. Just donít rap on the wall while using stethoscope...

On a sunny day go outside with binoculars and slowly scan the area to look for activity in a localized area. When nesting in a wall void all bees still need to enter/exit usually at the same point so that is what you are looking for. If you see that then you need to have it treated. There may not be much activity yet as it is early, at least here in the northeast. Where you are the nesting behavior could be farther advanced.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Old 06-19-15, 09:37 AM
S
Ok just went out today, only did the back area. I only saw one bee sitting on a flower, sprayed it and killed it. Immediately after that about 4 wasps flew over my neighbors fence and went into a space underneath the roof tile of our home. I took a photo but dont know how to upload it. Im assuming that is what ive been hearing but the buzzing is on the opposite side of the house. Its in the corner of my room in the ceiling not the wall. So can wasp tunnel their way underneath the tile into the roof/ceiling of home and create a nest ? Never had this problem before. I guess I will inform landlord and see what he says.

I still havent inspected the front of hone where the buzzing is occuring, because I never see bees or wasps there. I only saw one, the majority of their activity is in the backyard.

Old 06-19-15, 12:17 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Here are some instructions to insert images - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 06-19-15, 02:14 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Donít focus on the pollinating bees. That wonít lead us in a useful direction. The wasps that went under the tile probably have a paper nest right under that tile. I doubt that they are causing a problem especially since they are on the other side of the house from the noise. The bees that you hear in the wall are entering/exiting within feet of that point. Focus on that area patiently as I described previously.

Old 06-19-15, 07:07 PM
S
Alright, when would be best time time to do this? I have work 9 - 6 and the buzzing usually starts around 8. Since my job isnt too far from my home, I can probably go out right before I leave for work and watch for a little bit.

Old 06-20-15, 07:30 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
When the sun is shining on that side they will be the most active. As the nest gets bigger and more mature they will be visibly active all day. Theyíll be there on the weekend and holidays.

Old 06-20-15, 12:20 PM
S
Name:  unnamed (6).jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  16.3 KB

Okay came home on lunch and observed for a while.
Only activity I saw were red wasps. Didn't really witness them enter in anywhere.
Most flew up by the window and flew away or over my home.
One flew along the tiles near the area of the buzzing then it flew over
and I couldnt really see it anymore. I posted a photo. The red is the area of buzzing and the yellow is where the wasp flew.

Old 06-20-15, 02:23 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Can someone go out that window to get closer? The nest, if thatís what it is, is probably small at this point. If itís a nest then it will get bigger and have more visible activity as time goes on.

What happens when you pound on the wall from the inside? Louder buzzing? More furious buzzing?

Old 06-20-15, 03:37 PM
S
Im not home now to test it but the first time I tried that they didnt give me a reaction.

Old 06-20-15, 03:42 PM
S
Also just wanted to tell you we really appreciate you trying to help. We have never had this problem and we just dont want them to get inside especially since we babysit a small child every other say. Landlord says he will be out Monday to have a look. Hopefully it is small like you say and we get it taken care of asap.

Old 06-20-15, 05:21 PM
S
Its 7:17 pm now and I have been standing near the Corner for about 40 minutes now, and I have yet to hear any buzzing. Its still light out but I dont know if the wasps left for the day or what. Knocked on the wall and ceiling but still nothing.Trying this again tomorrow and will report back. Like I said in the original post hopefully it was just one lone wasp that found his way in and got lost and died *crosses fingers*

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: