Mice, ticks and fleas

Old 08-31-15, 08:30 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Mice, ticks and fleas

We have had several threads about mice and insects so I found the article below both interesting and helpful, since I live in Maine. PAbugman has mentioned fipronil many times but the application of it to mice was unique. I'll let you read, but ticks and fleas are transported by mice, until we kill them, then those pests depart looking for other hosts. Mice are bad enough, but I would prefer insect free ones.

I will be locating several sources of cotton balls treated with a tiny amount of fipronil in select places outside my home in hopes they find it and use it for nesting material. I realize that exterminating them might be more effective, but doubt that is possible and poisons have their risks for cats and dogs.

How the pros kill ticks: Unwitting mice and deer get a dose of bug spray | Vital Signs

Bud

Old 08-31-15, 01:18 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Nice post Bud. I knew that larger farm animals were treated like this mostly for flies I think.

Killing ticks while on the mouse has value for if we were to poison or lethal trap a mouse that is infested with ticks, the ticks will leave the body when it cools and look for another host.

Lyme disease is getting even more common here in PA; west nile virus was just diagnosed in humans in our county last week.

Im liking winter more and more...

Old 08-31-15, 03:01 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Thanks for the reply PA,
We have a new virus showing up in Maine, "Powassan virus". A noted author from the coast area went to the ER to have a tick removed. They removed it and she died shortly thereafter. Something like 10 to 15% of the cases are fatal UGH. It isn't a common virus, article below, but there is NO treatment and unlike the Lyme virus where the tick must be attached for about 24 hours, the Powassan virus is transmitted immediately when bit. There have been other articles and there is a long list of other viruses these critters carry.

For those not aware of ticks, a baby tick is about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Try finding one of those on your puppy dog or fluffy cat, or yourself. At my age there are many parts of my body I can no longer inspect.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...YJP/story.html

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: