Christmas Tree Bugs

Old 12-06-15, 10:52 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Christmas Tree Bugs

We bought a real xmas tree this year after a decade of using a fake one.

Right after we put it up we noticed more bugs around the home. Started with small spiders then some rollypolly's. Today saw some nasty beetle looking thing.

I noticed though that whenever I try to water the tree we see these. So i'm assuming they're living on the tree and when we move the branches to water it, it's disturbing them.

We shook the tree before we brought it in the home but seems like it didnt get all the bugs out.

I know we're not supposed to spray the tree w/ insecticide due to it being flammable. But my wife sprayed in the corners of the room yesterday so not sure if she should have done that.

The tree has a lot of branches on the bottom. Should i cut those and it will decrease the bugs? or it really doesn't matter?

Any advice on what to do?

Old 12-06-15, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,607 Upvotes on 3,234 Posts
Interesting problem. I've never had a bug problem with any of my fresh cut trees. It must be either they way they ship them or where they store them before getting to the retail location.

Old 12-06-15, 11:07 AM
N
we bought it at a tree farm. it's not an infestation, but i'm worried it may be one. it seemed like the beetle was sort of drunk when we saw it. like it was going to die anyway or we woke it up.

Old 12-06-15, 12:55 PM
N
Ok there little bugs above the tree on the ceiling. I must have got the bad tree out of the lot. Wife says get rid of it. Eat the $45.

What's a good way of disposing this? Cut it up or just leave it in the back yard?

Old 12-06-15, 04:44 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If it isn't a huge difficulty I would take it back to where you bought it and try to get a different tree or a refund.

Whoever said that money doesn't grow on trees never bought a Christmas tree!

Old 12-06-15, 05:37 PM
N
furd -that's what we ended up doing. I guess the guy who sold it to us was suppose to shake the tree in a machine and spray some kind of plant oil on it. he never did.

they gave us a new tree and did all that stuff. so far so good. don't see bugs.

Old 12-07-15, 05:27 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Upvotes on 95 Posts
In the future I wouldn’t hesitate to spray a water-based insecticide on a tree if I felt it was needed. The trigger spray bottles would be water based meaning it is a concentrate mixed with water as opposed to how aerosols are made. Aerosols can be water based too. Aerosols are quite cold and still have propellants and such in them so I still wouldn’t use them on a tree, cut or live.

You would want a spray for crawling insects as opposed to flying insects. The crawling insect spray will leave a residual while flying insect spray only kills what it directly contacts. We just put our tree up yesterday; I’ll be monitoring though right now, 3 cats are the immediate concern. Tree is secured at top and bottom.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: