Squirrel problems

Old 02-05-16, 08:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Squirrel problems

Not sure of the best forum for this question. Our neighbor just learned that he has a squirrel problem. How small of a hole can they get in and should I see about having the local squirrels trapped and relocated from our backyard. Thank you.

Old 02-05-16, 08:40 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If they aren't in your house, don't do anything.

Old 02-05-16, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
I moved your post to pest and animal control.
That would be an impossible task. Even if somehow you managed to move them, others would soon be back. It's natural for them to be there.
I agree with Pulpo. Your neighbors need to find and block the entrance points from their house. It's not your fault or your problem. The squirrels must be outside of their house, too.

Old 02-05-16, 09:11 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi mc, I'm a little more aggressive, even though I live next to the woods where more will just move in, but the longer I let them scamper around my house the more likely they will find a way in. Catching them takes practice and once you find a method you can keep their numbers down. Nothing wrong with catch and release, unless you live near where someone else is releasing them.

I have found apple slices to be very good at getting their attention. Using a very firm variety, I prefer Cortlands, helps the bait last longer.

I have to add, I was a bit nervous when I released the first. All I could picture, think Bill Murry with a gopher (squirrel in my case), was that squirrel stuck to my face chewing my nose off. He didn't look happy. All went well as he went flying through the trees in his new neighborhood.

Bud

Old 02-05-16, 09:15 AM
M
Thanks for the input. It seems that our neighbors have a mess now with chewed wires and everything. Do squirrels get through small holes like mice and rats or do they need a larger opening.

Old 02-05-16, 09:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
From what I know, they need a larger opening. Did they enter through the soffit of his house? One day, I worked for a trapper. The guy was a real character. I never laughed so hard while working. He didn't use cage traps, for squirrels. He said that squirrels don't like to enter things like that. He used something that would snap like a mouse trap.

Old 02-05-16, 09:35 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Do your neighbors also feed the birds or other wild animals? If someone feeds birds they WILL have squirrels as well as other critters visiting on a regular basis.

I used to feed the birds as well as the squirrels, raccoons and opossums (along with an occasion rat that might come by) but I stopped leaving out the food when Douglas, my Balinese cat, tangled with a raccoon, the raccoon coming out the worse. Then when Squirmy, a serial killer, moved in with me I had to stop feeding everyone. I miss the birds as well as the squirrels but I certainly don't miss the cadavers (mice, rats, baby squirrels, baby bunnies and birds).

Here is Squirmy. He has more twists and turns than a box of Pennsylvania Dutch pretzels, hence his name.

Name:  P1000653.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  48.5 KB

He's a cute little guy but is (or at least was) a holy terror to the local wildlife.

Now to answer your question, squirrels are rodents and yes, they can enter through some mighty small openings that you would never believe they could squeeze through. Bigger perhaps than mice need but still unbelievably small.

Old 02-05-16, 09:39 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
I've seen a hole as small as 1/2 dollar, but if it's wood they easily modify the opening as needed. That's size is for red squirrels and chipmunks. A gray squirrel would want a larger hole, tennis ball size.

When my live trap stopped getting results, I switched to rat traps that are just gigantic mouse traps. They worked fine.

Once you have seen the damage they can do inside, you no longer feel sorry for the cute little Bas*****. In you youth, they ended up on the dinner table along with anything else we could ?? harvest .

Bud

Old 02-05-16, 10:02 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Like most urban areas I have mostly eastern grey squirrels here although on rare occasion I have seen a native (Douglas) squirrel in my back yard. I don't think I have ever seen a grey squirrel that needed anything close to the size of a tennis ball-sized hole to go through, that would be a HUGE squirrel around here.

Old 02-05-16, 10:40 AM
M
They are not sure how they originally got in, but now when they close off one opening, another opening is made by the squirrel through the soffits. They vow to not give up though and have some exterminator working on getting rid of them. Hopefully not to my house. We do have gable, soffit and a ridge vent and was just thinking they might like all three.

Old 02-26-16, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
As a dryer repair man you have never seen such a mess as a squirrel that made a home in the squirrel cage of a dryer. Has soon as dryer turned on squirrel was done and plastered all inside. Squirrels will get in anyplace. They come in through the vent tube.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: