Identify droppings

Old 06-28-16, 08:27 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Identify droppings

I awoke this morning to find some critter had been munching on a bag of crushed cashews I'd left out on the kitchen counter top.

But I've never seen droppings like these before. They more-or-less resemble mouse droppings in shape, but they're a little larger, reddish in color, and soft like play-doh.

Any ideas?
Name:  MysteryDroppings1.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  MysteryDroppings2.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  30.7 KB

Old 07-04-16, 08:52 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
It’s rodent droppings, probably mouse. The coloration is because of what they ate earlier. When using rodenticide we often find blue or green droppings which are related to the color of the rodenticide. There are red rodenticide blocks available.

Old 07-04-16, 09:46 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I set a trap on the counter, baited it with crushed cashews (stuck to the catch with peanut butter). Last night we caught a mouse, a pretty large one, who left droppings of similar size (brown) before his demise. So I think you must be correct.

My wife noted that the pencil sitting on the counter next to the cashews was missing its eraser. Is it possible the mouse ate the pink pencil eraser and that caused it to poop red?

Old 07-04-16, 11:13 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Very well could be! I wish we knew for sure as that would make a good story to repeat. Keep your trap set for a few days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: