Help identify insects in gutter

Old 08-25-16, 07:42 AM
A
aro
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help identify insects in gutter

In the processes of cleaning gutters I discovered the standing water and sand from the 6 year old shingles. When I was cleaning the sand, I came across several of these large ant a like insects. Look like carpenter ants, but I am not positive as there is no food for them in the near proximity. Any thoughts on what these are and how to exterminate? I have a quarterly contract with Orkin with basic service, but not sure if it covers these. Thanks for your help in advance

Name:  01 gutter.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  48.7 KB

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70062[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70063[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70064[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70065[/ATTACH]

Attached Images     
Old 08-25-16, 12:03 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Definitely an ant; possibly carpenter ant. Here in PA we have black carpenter ants but black/red are common elsewhere. Ants are omnivorous, meaning that they will eat protein, carbs, starch, etc at various times of the year depending upon their need. They like wet wood and even wood that was wet but now dry. Have you had roof leaks in the past? If so, I would look there first. Any tree branches impinging on the roof? Those will provide easy access as large ants like to make colonies in mature trees.

Old 08-25-16, 02:24 PM
A
aro
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, i have a tree too close to the house. I will trim it nicely. And yes, there was a small roof leak in the area. About 5-8 inches. It's dry now under the Texas sun but was pretty wet when we had continuous rains in past week or two. What is the risk if these are carpenter ants and what is the resolution? Anything I can spray/spread that will kill them effectively?

Old 08-25-16, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
They also like sappy trees like soft maple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: