Tiny Moths

Old 04-12-17, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiny Moths

There are these tiny moths that are so small that they enter in through the fine mesh of the screen windows. This is troublesome since I need to open up the windows to ventilate my home. There are no finer mesh screens also, so I don't know what to do. These mothes fly in my face, near my food, and just annoy the hell out of me. Any suggestions?

See attachment for view of tiny moth.Name:  tiny moth.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  9.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-17, 06:44 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
I can’t see them well enough as the pic won’t enlarge.

Are you sure they are coming in from exterior as opposed to emerging somewhere inside and flying to the windows for the light?

Old 04-12-17, 07:09 AM
I never see them when the windows are closed. I would often see them clinging to the screen on the outside. I once saw them actually coming in through the screen mesh from the outside. So yes, they are most definitely coming in from the outside. I don't know how to enlarge the picture, but if you go to google.com and enter "tiny moths" and check "images", it pretty much shows what I'm talking about.

Old 04-12-17, 07:22 AM
By the way, the landlord had an Orkin man pest technician to take care of the moth issue a while back and he failed miserably. All the Orkin guy told me to do was to keep the windows closed at all times? Really? I did that and the entire home lacked ventilation and caused mold to grow and make things much worse. I was appalled at the lack of level of expertise this Orkin guy displayed. That is not a solution! Unbelievable!

Old 04-13-17, 06:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Thanks for the answers. Moth species vary across the spectrum from agricultural based to stored-product pests (inside).

They may be coming from planted crops, trees, bushes and even turf among others. I would take specimens to the local county extension office for ID as they are familiar with outdoor pests in that geographical area. Here in PA each county has an “extension office” which is an extension of Penn State Agronomics. I’ve used them for ID various times and always helpful. This particular specie may not even be present in the East.

Being an outdoor moth you may have no control over their harborage and biological habits. Could be mating season right now which would increase their activity levels. I’m surprised (maybe not so much) that the pest control guy didn’t get a solid ID of these guys. Proper ID is paramount to solving insect problems as harborage, food sources, conducive conditions vary drastically between insects, especially flying insects.

One idea that I had is treating the window screens with a residual insecticide so that the moths will contact the residual as they enter and cling. This won’t solve the problem, but it could give relief. “Flying insect spray” only kills if you actually contact each and every insect so it offers no longer term protection.

By residual insecticide I mean to use an insecticide labeled for “crawling insects” as that leaves a residual when it dries, of varying duration. I would suggest something in a trigger spray bottle as that will be water based and not have the propellants and solvents that may be found in some aerosols.

These guys must be really tiny if they are passing thru window screen mesh. Let us know what they are as I’m very curious. Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-17, 06:46 AM
Thanks for all the help. I'm going to try the residual insectide. I'm hoping that some home improvement store carry these. I've tried spraying the screen from the outside with flying insect spray and it barely helped. The moths are difficult to catch to identify them. They die pretty easily when I swat at them, and then they're hard to find on the floor because of their size. But I'll let you know what they are if I'm able to catch one.