caulk where insects entering under shingle siding?

Old 05-19-17, 08:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
caulk where insects entering under shingle siding?

Old house with shingle siding. In some areas we see insects (flies, bees) entering the slits between the shingles. Can I caulk these holes? And if so, which caulk? Thank you.

Old 05-19-17, 09:39 PM
S
Personally, I think you need to get the insects out of there before you close their exit. If you trap them in there, they may find a way in to your house.
I suggest hiring a reputable exterminator--one who guarantees their work for a period of time.
Once you've gotten rid of the current invaders, then you can take measures to block them from returning.

Old 05-20-17, 03:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree you need to get rid of the insects first! Are these individual cedar shingles or is it manufactured siding to look like shingles? What type of finish is on the siding? pics would be nice

Old 05-20-17, 07:26 AM
E
Ok, will do exterminator.
As for shingles, they are single cedar painted gray. See pic.

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-17, 10:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Unless there is a void where you can see the sheeting [or tar paper/house wrap] behind the shingles, I'd skip the caulk and just concentrate on eradicating the insects.

Old 05-20-17, 01:01 PM
E
Gonna do the pest control thing and cannot see house wrap. But I saw them disappearing in the two holes marked suggesting evil.

Name:  IMG_7947.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 05-20-17, 02:22 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
I doubt that those openings will let the insects into the walls but just into that small void space. That same void space exists everywhere that shingles overlap. Since they are against the windows I do see the concern. Wouldnít hurt to caulk it though but Iíd think youíd have to do all the windows in the house to be sure.

If you want to treat the voids between the shingles you could do that with any aerosol that is labeled for crawling insects as the crawling insect sprays leave a residual for several weeks at least. Find one that has an applicator straw/tip for more direct injection.

Old 05-20-17, 02:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
This material is good for plugging holes as well as longer cracks and crevices. Iíve used lots of it. Wonít rust, cuts with a scissors although tiny copper splinters will fly off when using a scissors. I always held it inside a bucket to cut it.

Iím not endorsing this supplier necessarily, just the product.

Stuffit, Copper Stuf-fit, Copper mesh, copper wool

Old 05-20-17, 05:45 PM
E
Interesting. Read about it.

Most of descriptions apply to "animals", not teeny crawling flying things. Will it stop the tiny things? Carpet beetles etc are kinda small.

Thank you.

Old 05-21-17, 04:06 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, itís good for even small gaps and crevices and it does preclude insects as it can be packed tight using screwdrivers or equivalent.

It can be balled up to patch a hole or cut and stretched/twisted to fill a running seam.

Leaning out a window and caulking upside-down can be difficult, but certainly doable. I thought this might be another option.

If you go this route please remember to do the cutting inside a bucket or box due to the copper splinters flying off. They arenít dangerous and can be swept up easily but it is easier to prevent the mess.

Old 06-02-17, 05:12 PM
E
Had pest people treat the area. Now waiting to assess results. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: