Bed bugs in new house..

Old 09-05-17, 02:35 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Bed bugs in new house..

We just moved into a upstairs/downstairs style duplex and as we were painting we found bed bugs !!! Told the landlord he wanted me to buy some do it yourself pest control product. I called around and eventually bought Temprid SC. We sprayed today and when it dried we moved our couch and beds and some clothes into the house. Hubby slept in the bedroom and almost immediately got bitten and found four bed bugs on the bed with him.I was going to sleep on the couch as I have a HUGE bed bug PHOBIA. I kept getting itchy but didnt find anything. An hour of paranoid phone flash light searching and BOOM found one right by my arm on the couch. I freak out! Jump up and grab the spray but by the time I got back with the spray the little monster had just disappeared. So, here I am 4:30 am sitting inside my bathtub wishing for sleep but too scared to attempt it. I'm wondering why are we having so much activity? I sprayed every crack and baseboard I could see except for in the kitchen, as I don't have easy access to it at the moment. I'm literally driving myself mad over this and I am wondering if the Temprid isn't working, or if it just needs time??? I cannot handle this, I know it sounds exaggerated but I go into anxiety attacks over these bugs. I've remained vigilant over the years and have NEVER had a bed bug in my home. What should I do? The house was empty for maybe a month before we moved in (just in case its helpful). TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-17, 02:57 AM
N
Also, I should note that we have old hardwood floors -_- I was told not to treat the floors but I'm thinking that was a mistake?

Old 09-05-17, 06:39 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Temprid SC is a good choice of insecticide for bed bugs but none of the good insecticides work quickly, even when applied professionally. Bed bug treatments are difficult, time, labor and money intensive and generally not effective when performed by a DIY’er. Bed bug treatments are an aspect of pest control that is best left to the pros, who oftentimes have trouble themselves due to the nature and ability of bed bugs to hide and remain secretive. The fact that you found them on the couch and the bed indicates a widespread problem. They aren’t like fleas or roaches that will move from room to room quickly. Assuming they weren’t in the furniture that you brought then they are deep in the baseboards, flooring, carpet tack, electrical plates, etc. The volume of insecticide that a pro will use would dwarf what a DIY’er tends to use. This isn’t like treating for roaches, spiders, earwigs, ants, etc. where we would use minimal amounts in order to do the job. Bed bug treatments with insecticide are at the other end of the spectrum volume wise. Heat treatments are common now, sometimes along with insecticide treatments.

If everything is as you say, and you didn’t bring them in your furniture, then this is the landlords problem, big time. He may or may not have known of previous issues in this unit but in any case the ideal window of opportunity to treat was when the unit was vacant. Empty units are infinitely easier to treat than furnished units and the chances of early success are greater.

DIY’ers chances of success in bed bug treatments is mostly when the problem is confined to a specific piece of furniture that was recently acquired. My instinct tells me that its time for professional treatment in your unit and very possibly in the other half of the duplex. Have you talked to the tenants? They may or may not be open about the subject though. A pro may not want the job unless they can do both units.

Meanwhile, learn about bed bug mattress/box spring covers that you can install. ActiveGuard is a good brand but there are others. Wal Mart sells a brand too. Furniture stores that sell beds sometimes have them too. They run from cheap to expensive but whatever you buy make sure that you don’t tear them when installing. Also, get them just big enough as too big will created folds, flaps, etc that will be harborage for bed bugs. Measure the height of mattress/box springs as that will vary. Do a search of “bed bug moats” which are disc like things that you place under each bed leg to prevent them from climbing up. The discs are also called “climb-ups”. Using the mattress covers and the moats are how you will isolate and protect your bed from them even though they will still be in the baseboards and such. Move the bed and head board away from walls and don’t let bedding touch the floor or walls.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-17, 01:36 PM
N
Thank you so much for all of the info. After a sleep deprived night and day I finally got ahold of the landlord and he is setting up heat treatment for tomorrow morning! I hope this is effective as I just cannot relax. Ive lived in my previous home for five years and only moved because we needed the extra room for our growing son :/ thankfully those items and a few shelfs were the only things we had moved in so far! Do you know how effective heat treatment is by any chance?

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-05-17 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Not needed.
Old 09-05-17, 03:53 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Sounds like good news!

Heat treatment done properly, meaning the right amount of heat for the correct amount of time is more successful initially than insecticides are, although it would be even better news if they were doing both. Sometimes they do an insecticide follow-up after heat treatment which would be good. Heat treatment success is enhanced when the living unit is vacant or sparsely furnished which sounds like your case so that too is good. Are they treating the adjoining unit as well? That would concern me if they are not.

In any case, I think you should still pursue the bed bug moats, mattress/box spring encasements as they will protect you in case of re-infestation.

Good luck and keep us posted!