Help! What is this?

Old 10-16-17, 03:17 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Help! What is this?

I noticed something strange in one exterior corner of my garage door wall below the roof. I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing it's the beginning of some sort of hive? Bee? You can see one tunnel. Doesn't look like a birds next. Someone flung mud to that corner, and somehow it naturally formed a tunnel shape? LOL! Hope someone experienced can tell me what this is and whether or not it's safe for me to take it down. It's not that big, my picture is zoomed in a bit. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-17, 03:23 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's hard to tell but if you think it's a hive of sorts, get rid of it while you have a chance.

Old 10-16-17, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Looks like a dirt dobber nest. Scrape it down and touch up the paint.

Old 10-16-17, 03:43 PM
M
I googled Dirt Dobber and some of the images look similar, so maybe that's it. It's safe to get close to it to scrape it down?

Old 10-16-17, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While dirt dobbers can be scary looking I've never heard of anyone getting stung by one.

Old 10-16-17, 04:01 PM
M
Learn something new every day. I have never heard of Dirt Dobbers before today.

Old 10-16-17, 04:09 PM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
We have them as part of our standard insects down here in Louisiana. It is a Dirt Dobber. The worst they do is build those little mud hives. If left alone, they will eventually bundle several of those "tunnels" all together. Kinda like a wasp nest with several sections. They lay their eggs in there & in a little while, a brand new full grown baby Dirt Dobber will emerge. As far as I know, as marksr said, they look like a black wasp of sorts but I've never had one sting or bother me in any way. I've never had one to buzz me or lite on me, bite or sting me. As far as I know, they are completely harmless with the exception of those dirt nests which simply look bad & leave a dirty spot if/when you remove it. Once you remove the dirt nest, you just take some water, wet it & wipe the dirt, mud spot away.

Old 10-16-17, 04:13 PM
M
Is there a difference between Dirt Dobber and Mud Dauber? I'm assuming it's the same word spelled differently. This article says, they are a natural form of pest control since they will kill black widows. If this is true, I might just leave it alone since I see black widows from time to time.

https://dengarden.com/pest-control/W...et-Rid-of-Them

Old 10-17-17, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know they are the same.

Old 10-17-17, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
I have always called them mud dobbers

Old 10-17-17, 05:47 AM
S
I've had them plug the exhaust opening on my string trimmer! Steve

Old 10-17-17, 05:48 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 41 Posts
It looks like the same thing to me. We's cun-try folk down he'uh... we call'um Dirt Dobbers... lol
I'm sure what you found is the correct spelling for our slang spelling .
Now that you have mentioned it, it seems like I had heard that they do kill black widows, but I had forgotten about that.
The only thing with leaving the nest is, eventually, there will be two of them.... then three, then four.....
I dont know if they reuse the same nest over & over for hatching each time.... or if they build a new nest each time they lay eggs. But eventually, this one or others will come to a safe haven & build nests for their eggs to hatch. If more appear, & it gets too ugly around there, you can just destroy the old ones & clean up.

Old 10-17-17, 05:26 PM
L
We have them all the time. The wasps are black and not very aggressive, but that nest may already be abandoned. You can just break it with a broom handle or stick and then scrape what you can of the mud that is dried and stuck on. I usually just set my pressure washer on low and blast them off. Repeat next year.

Old 10-18-17, 05:03 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
Here in the northeast we call them “mud daubers”. They are harmless though they have the potential to sting. Beneficial in that they are predators. This is an incubation chamber more so than a nest. I’ve broken old ones open and discovered dead spiders inside as that is the food source for the newly hatched. The species vary by geographic location so if you talk to your local agricultural extension agent you may find out more about your particular specie.