Do mice remember good feeding areas?

Old 03-18-18, 11:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do mice remember good feeding areas?

Mice are coming through a hole I drilled in my camping trailer to add an in-line water heater to the camper to replace the tank heater that went bad.

I cleaned up the area they were attracted to. I removed all the boxes and non-perishable foods I had in that area. Now I am going to close the hole.

I bought 1/4" steel mesh and will put steel wool around that to make sure there are no holes bigger than a dime.

Now that I have the area clear, should I leave the hole they climb in through open for awhile so they can come in and see there is nothing in there that they want. Or do I just close it up.
(I saw a mouse climb down the gas and water hoses that feed the inline heater, so I know that is how they are getting in. There could be other ways too, but that one I know they come through)

Anyway, are mice smart enough to return to places they have previously found food and maybe had a nest in or do they just follow their noses to food.
I had some power bars, and crackers and stored along with can goods right next to the water heater. The mice had made confetti out of my paper towels and toilet tissue and power bar wrappers. I am pretty sure they were using my paper towels as bedding, because of all the droppings they left.
Also, do you think mice can move in the walls of a 26' travel trailer.
You know what, I bought some baits to kill them. I am going to put those out too.
Anyway, do I give them time to figure out there is nothing inside that they want anymore or do I just shut them out immediately.

Thank you for considering this poorly articulated question.
(it does meander a bit but you get the meaning)

Old 03-18-18, 01:11 PM
A
Received 72 Votes on 65 Posts
Welcome. Mice, and this goes for most animals, follow their noses or other senses or instincts for their next meal, but yes, they also know where the easy pickings were, so they'll be back. Regardless though I would not pretend to "train" them that there's nothing left to steal. Seal it up and be done with them. And yes, they would love living in the walls, so keep looking, and plug any other holes or gaps that you find.

Old 03-18-18, 01:39 PM
T
Received 39 Votes on 37 Posts
Mice and other animals certainly remember where they found food and, yes, they can learn a food source is no longer available. Most people have neither the expertise nor the inclination to train a mouse. They find it easier to stop their entry or kill them.

Beyond that, though, mice search for more than food. The best thing to do is discourage them from looking by sealing the space.

Old 03-18-18, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,416 Votes on 1,310 Posts
I'm convinced they smell the "remains" from the previous mice and follow right along.

Old 03-18-18, 02:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
They poop and pee where they eat... so yeah, i'd say they "Mark it".

Old 03-19-18, 08:06 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
They will continue to enter/exit as they are naturally curious and natural foragers. They will gladly live inside but forage elsewhere if that is what's best for them. Stop their entry/exit asap.

I don't know about travel trailer walls; I assume there is fiberglass or styrofoam insulation in there, so they will be attracted to some extent.

Old 03-19-18, 08:36 AM
After watching this video, I'd say seal that sucker up and put out bait in case you missed a spot--and then sterilize the area and everywhere around it. Maybe two or three times. Mice are nasty.

Old 03-19-18, 08:55 AM
S
OK, so it looks like an overwhelming "seal it up immediately". How do I disinfect?

I pulled all the stuff in the cupboards. There was no indication mice had been in them. There were no holes chewed in any of the dried rice or bean bags. There were no droppings.

I have city water hooked up to the trailer. So I will seal that hole with steel wool. I have the wire mesh + steel wool for the water heater area.
What other areas can they come up from the ground on. Can thjey climb up the wheels and get in?
Is there a spray that repels them. I read that people say peppermint does this but the experts say no.

I also put bait/poison out in the storage areas that are on the floor (under the couchs/beds). Tonight the holes get plugged.

I would love to spray something around the undercarriage of my trailer that will make it less inviting to them.

Do mice only go where food is, or do I need to look through all the areas where the sleeping bags and other bedding are? Or would they see there is no food and water and avoid it.
Maybe they think it makes good bedding.

Old 03-19-18, 10:25 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
I doubt that they can get in through the underside by climbing on the wheels. Iím not aware of any sprays that will repel. Even if something like peppermint worked, it would only work while quite fresh, thereby requiring frequent re-application. Here is a link to repeating mouse traps. They can be used inside and underneath.

Live Mouse Traps | Humane Mouse Traps | Catch and Release Traps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: