Bed bugs or mites? Bug ID needed.

Old 06-15-18, 11:51 PM
Bed bugs or mites? Bug ID needed.

Yesterday I saw an incredibly small bug on my phone screen. I didnít think much of it at first, but when I went to squish it and nothing happened I decided to catch it on a piece of tape. Tonight the same thing happened, another bug on my screen, and again I caught it on a piece of tape.
After doing a google search it seems like they could be mites or they could be bed bugs. My camera wouldnít really focus since they were so small, but Iíve linked the best images I could get. Theyíre VERY tiny, for reference the white think theyíre on top of is the cap of a small paint bottle. Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: images didnít work. Fixing now.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-18, 11:56 PM

Old 06-17-18, 06:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't tell what they are from the photos. Seems to small for bed bugs but still possible. Bed bugs typically woudnt be on a phone unless they are well established throughout the structure, and you would know that as there would be all life stages present along with the occupants symptoms. Can't eliminate that possibility yet, but I'm leaning away from it.

Do a search for "bird mites" and see what you think. Using a magnifying glass may help you compare characteristics. If there are bird nests on exterior of structure, sometimes mites will invade the structure.

Old 07-04-18, 07:01 AM
Before I posted these photos I had looked at bird mites, but thought they looked a little too big. They do seem to make the most sense though, both in looks and because there is a birds nest right above my window ( the window where my air conditioner is - so I could see them getting sucked in ) .

Thanks for your help.