Baby Praying Mantis Invasion

Old 07-10-18, 08:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Baby Praying Mantis Invasion

Not sure if I'm in the right place to ask this question, but here goes.

So I've just discovered about a dozen baby praying mantis on the 2/3 floor of my condo. The ones on the walls are all facing downward, leading me to believe they came from the AC vent on the ceiling.
I'd prefer to not kill them all. I know 100-200 hatch from eggs, so there are more somewhere.
Do I call an exterminator? Do I really have to individually catch and release all of them?

Thanks.

Old 07-11-18, 04:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
I would catch and release them outside. They are very beneficial and will actually help control insects around your building.

Old 07-11-18, 04:56 AM
Received 370 Votes on 335 Posts
I agree with PD. Release them. But I think you already know that is what you would like to do. The real question is how to remove them quickly and find out where they are nesting and seal up the holes. I don't think an exterminator will help you much. I'd like to see what Bugman has to say.

Here's an idea. If you have a low power vacuum, you could suck them up and quickly release them outside. I don't think you would harm them.

Old 07-11-18, 10:03 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1531328576

An egg sac that looks something like this must have been introduced into your condo. Has anyone brought in flowers, leaves, branches or outdoor furniture recently? They don't invade from the exterior like ants and spiders and fly's would. I can't imagine a connection with the ventilation system is happening.

I doubt that they will live any length of time without nourishment though I don't really know their needs as newly hatched mantis.

I doubt that I'd do much about them for some days just to see if it gets better or worse. If you want to try an insecticide treatment, get an aerosol can of flying insect spray. Turn off ventilation system, removed pets, fish, birds and people and stand in the room furthest from door and spray into the air in a sweeping motion, as well as spraying under furniture and back your way out of the condo and vacate for several hours. Flying insect spray, not crawling insect spray.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: