Critter ridder

Old 07-15-18, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Critter ridder

I'm having a problem with a tiny insect. It's similiar to a "gnat". It might be a fruit fly-Idon't know! I was told to pour boiling water down my sink drains (that's supposed to be where hey live and bred) then you put apple cider vinegar in a glass, cover it with a plastic wrap, seal it with a rubber band around the outside. Next polk several small holes the plastic wrap. The apply vinegar attracts the insets inside the glass and they can't get out so they drown. I've done all that (attracted several insects but they 're still fling around. Anybody hav e a better soulution? Thank you, Gerry

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-18, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums!

There is a bit too much guessing as to what these insect are.
Maybe they are small flies that are living in one of your houseplants???

You could try to take a clear picture of them then post here or take a sample to a pest control company for advice.

Old 07-15-18, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
If you think they are living in the drain..... cover the drain with a piece of clear tape. If the insects are down there.... they will stick to the tape. You could then stick the tape to a piece of white paper, take a picture and then post it..... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 07-15-18, 12:50 PM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
I would think that simply running water down the drains regularly would suffice as I don't think they would swim their way back. But I have seen them around unused drains that have dried out, so if you have an unused sink that could be a source, and floor drains are particularly suspect because they are often overlooked in this regard. And don't disregard to what Greg said about houseplants. We had that a few years back and eliminated the problem by spritzing them with a little dish soap in the water for a week or so. They haven't been back since.

Old 07-15-18, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
All good advice above, but proper identification is paramount to solving fly problems as there are many species, all sizes, and they live, breed and feed in very different settings. Cleaning the drains thoroughly won't help if they aren't coming from there.

Get close up pictures if you can. Also, try the tape over drain idea. You can take the specimens to the local county agricultural extension agent who will give you objective ID and we can go in a more positive direction.

Old 07-16-18, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, one and all! I've had this problem before and the hot water and vinegar method mentioned worked that time. Maybe the clear tape method will will work in a 2 fold way? Again, thank y'all, Gerry.