Tiny wood beetles

Old 09-18-18, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiny wood beetles

I've notice that an antique wood cabinet of mine has a small amount of rot on part of it. Among the sawdust are these tiny brown beetles (see photo). Can anyone tell me what they are and the best way to get rid of them? The furniture is still quite solid and I would like to keep it that way! Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-18, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
The insects/beetles in the pic may be a wood infesting beetle or they could simply be an opportunist beetle that lives in rotted/punky wood. In any case, beetles of this nature are difficult to ID on spur of the moment as there are many species, some of which infest hardwoods only, softwoods only, live wood only, dead wood only, while some will re-infest and others won't. Because of the re-infestation potential, it is important to ID them.

I suggest going to the local County Agricultural Extension Agent. Here in PA the office is an extension of Penn State. If the agent cannot ID the insect, which may very well be possible due to the small nature and minor difference between species, but the distinction can be important because of the ability of some to re-infest. They should be able to send them off for more thorough ID by entomologists. Some beetles can be specific, or more so, to certain geographic areas and a county agent would be familiar with that.

It's not out of question that these could be a termite species that thrives above ground if you live in a prone area as opposed to subterranean termites, which are the only specie that I've ever seen and worked with.

If by chance you would call a pest control operator for ID, you still want to get a positive ID from an entomologist as these insects may not be anything to worry about. Oftentimes us pest control operators can't always tell the difference between re-infesting and non re-infesting, which is the crux of this issue as I see it.

Keep us posted as I'm curious as to what they are.

Old 09-20-18, 05:15 PM
You can't really tell from my photo but looking it over they do resemble red flour beetles, though I've never heard of them being found in wood. If I find any more I'll try to post a better photo.

Old 09-21-18, 06:00 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Noticed any tiny round holes about the size of an ice pick in the wood?
https://ento.psu.edu/extension/facts...erpost-beetles
Is the part of the wood you found them a hardwood or something soft like pine?
Old House Borer, Description, Control House Wood Borers Beetles

Old 09-21-18, 06:45 PM
No small holes. More like one larger one that they decided to take up residence in. I found another specimen and am attaching better pics...

Attached Images    
Old 09-22-18, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
I honestly can't tell what they are. I don't think they are flour beetles because if you look closely at the back (wing covers) of a red flour beetle you see that the lines (striations) run the length of the back in a vertical way. Looking at your specimen the lines on the wing covers are horizontal.

Now they could still be in the "stored product pest " family as some of them are opportunists and will live in holes/galleries that other insects made or in rotted/punky wood as it's easier for them. I've seen larder beetles do that but these are definitely not larders.

I'm going to keep looking.