Moles in lawn

Old 09-20-18, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moles in lawn

I have a fairly large lawn (aprox 1 acre). Lately I have been finding evidence of moles everywhere. So many that the ground is soft in places where they have been burrowing. I don't know where they are going but I can't seem to find any exit holes, just soft mounds all over the place. So trapping them might be difficult. My main concern, and I don't even know if I should be concerned, is that they are burrowing around over my leach field. Could these things burrow through my septic leach field and damage components? (I have a Presby system which incorporates a fibrous mat) Any suggestions on how to get rid of the moles?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-18, 02:52 PM
Not sure if they will damage the leech field , but they do sell stuff that will kill the moles, check at your local lawn and garden center, good luck

Old 09-20-18, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
Here is an example of a popular mole bait. This is an example of one brand. I've seen the same product but other brands in hardware stores, Tractor Supply, etc.

Moles favorite meal is earthworms.

https://www.domyown.com/talpirid-mole-bait-p-196.html

Old 09-20-18, 04:23 PM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
Here is a recent post regarding moles, I bought some of poison worms but havent gotten around to putting them out!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/i...le-issues.html

They are of no concern to septic field, they dig just below the grass, your field is probably a foot down min!

Old 09-21-18, 03:44 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I also have a huge problem with skunks digging up my lawn every night so I'm thinking my real issue is grubs. I did a spot check and turned over grubs in the top layer. I bought some milky spore to put down and will start treating with beneficial nematodes in the spring. Also looking into getting some poison worms in the meantime.

Old 09-21-18, 03:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck to you!

Old 09-21-18, 04:40 PM
Milky Spore is not an over night solution . . . . but it works !

I see that I bought my initial Milky Spore in 2013 to inoculate about 3 acres where the Moles, Shrews, Skunks, Raccoons, and Possums were having a Field Day (or Night) harvesting Japanese Beetle Grubs. And I know that the Japanese Beetles first started frequenting my property in the early 2000s when we introduced a Raspberry patch.

It took until 2015 for me to realize a real reduction in the rodent digging; but now in 2018 it's almost non-existent.