Scary spiders in basement

Old 10-19-18, 08:59 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scary spiders in basement

My house is fairly new and recently have been noticing large spiders in my basement. Killed 4 of the same kind within 3 to 4 days.I dont know where they are getting in. Is it possible for a spider to travel and come in basement drain holes? This is creeping me out.Are their solid covers for these drains?

Old 10-19-18, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
They come inside this time of the year (fall). They get in thru cracks and crevices just like other outside bugs. I don't mind spiders. They won't hurt you or anything. Don't be scrared! Just looking for food and to stay warm.
Anyway, our pro bug man will give you more info when he sees this.

Old 10-20-18, 04:17 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
OK, I have say something here. I also get spiders in the house during the change of seasons. And yes I know they are good and help keep the bug infestations in check. BUT, I have an unnatural fear of spiders in an enclosed area regardless of how big the room might be. Outside no problem, I'll even let them crawl over my boot. But inside is an other story. Other bugs don't bother me, but spiders just don't belong inside. The wife must "get" them or I use a very long extension vacuum to dispose of them. Yea I know it's strange. I am kidded about it at home and at work. Many pranks are played on me because of my fear. But I've learned to embrace my fears.
I have many humorous stories about spiders any me.
Shady, I commend you for not letting them bother you. Come on over to my house and take care of them please.

Old 10-20-18, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Norm, I was in a store a month or so ago and seen 20' spider spray for sale. I assume it's just like the 20" bee spray but for spiders.

I don't like bugs of any kind inside my house! I know it's not feasible to eradicate all of them or prevent any from entering but when they get seen - they usually get hit with the appropriate bug spray. Areas that seem to attract bugs usually get sprayed regularly.
Is it possible for a spider to travel and come in basement drain holes? This is creeping me out.Are their solid covers for these drains?
What type of drain holes?

Old 10-20-18, 05:44 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Some spiders are a bit scarier than others, and I have seen some nasty bites from some of the bad ones, but those hang out more in older and rotting structures, wood piles, etc., so I generally ignore them in the house. Not that I'm fond of them either, but, as SL said, they're looking for a warmer environment this time of the year, so they come and they go, just like box elder bugs, moths, ladybugs, etc.

Old 10-20-18, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
Funny, I'm not particularly superstitious, but my mother never killed spiders because she said it was bad luck to do so. Guess it stuck in my head, cuz I never kill spiders! I don't have tons of them, but there's a couple here and there throughout my house!
One time one did scare me. I was in St. Thomas, and when I was taking a shower, there was a HUGE one in there with me. Almost the size of my hand! I got out quick and called the management to come and get him.

Old 10-20-18, 11:35 AM
F
French drains are what I am talking about

Old 10-20-18, 02:12 PM
I was in a store a month or so ago and seen 20' spider spray for sale. I assume it's just like the 20" bee spray but for spiders.
Marksr, Yes, we carry that stuff too. I'm not keen on using that type of thing in doors.

Shady, If I had been there and was wearing pants, well I would've needed to change my pants.

True story. Back when I was a newly wed, about two months or so, my bride and I were ready to go to bed. I pull back the sheets and out of the corner of my eye I see one of those small nearly greenish white spiders skitter across the bed. Gone within a second. I refused to get into the bed. My wife started making fun of me and mocking me. I stuck to my guns and refused until we found the spider. After much talking and and her laughing, we tore apart the bedding. Know what? We found that little bugger. I felt exonerated.

Funny thing is, as a kid we would go camping and sleep on the ground. Never bothered me.

Old 10-20-18, 03:15 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Doubtful they are coming in from drain pipes, the average house has lots of small openings where they just walk in.

I get a lot of the very small, almost transparent spiders in the basement, I wonder what the hell they eat but sure enough there is spider poop on the floor.

I usually just do a walk around with bug spray once a year!

Old 10-20-18, 03:51 PM
G
Fracman, I just registered here to tell you to ignore anyone who suggests there's anything at all un-manly about burning your house down to the foundation because you saw a spider.

It's not an overreaction, it's common sense.

Old 10-29-18, 06:59 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 109 Upvotes on 102 Posts
Is your basement finished/partially finished/unfinished?

What type of french drain? Is it the type that goes around the interior perimeter of the basement or are they floor drains in various places throughout the basement slab?

If pets and small children aren't an issue and assuming that these spiders are the hunter/predators, meaning the kind that walk around as opposed to web makers, then the rodent sized glue boards will catch a surprising amount of spiders. It's quick and easy. Place them at the wall/floor junction.

There are residual insecticide sprays that can be purchased over the counter and applied by homeowners if you want to do that. I can offer more info on this if requested. This time of year is when they are moving in. I just sprayed our basement.

Old 12-12-18, 02:21 PM
S
Originally Posted by fracman58
My house is fairly new and recently have been noticing large spiders in my basement. Killed 4 of the same kind within 3 to 4 days.I dont know where they are getting in. Is it possible for a spider to travel and come in basement drain holes? This is creeping me out.Are their solid covers for these drains?
I would buy some Talstar, which you can spray indoors in the areas you see them and outdoors (and spray around windows and doors, where they are likely coming in). Will keep killing any that walk over it for weeks. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTgihCWPgrM

Old 12-12-18, 02:56 PM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Pickup a used "cyclone" vacuum cleaner (with a clear plastic tube) from a thrift shop.
Leave it down in the basement to deal with spiders.

Vacuum them up.
If it helps, imagine the spiders going AAHHHaaaaHHHHAAA as they swirl around, and remember the Tequila scene from "The Sandlot". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMRF_V5lL4

Old 12-12-18, 05:23 PM
This reminds me of another anecdote that took place several years ago. My neighbor just came home from heart surgery. He calls me to come over and if I could go in the basement to reset his Verizon box due to a power outage. I asked why his wife could not do it. Tells me she don't know how. I said OK, I'll be there in a minute.

I tell his wife to come down with me and I'll show her how it's done for future. The box is located on the far wall with a slight partition sort of blocking it from the rest of the open basement. She gets to the partition mark (about 5 feet from the box) and stops. I say come closer so you can see what buttons you need to press. She refuses. I say it again and again she refuses. I can hear my neighbor kind of laughing. Anyway, I reset the box and go home. A few days later I ask him why she would not get closer to the box in the basement? He laughs again and says she has an invisible line on the floor that separates her territory from the spiders! As if they also would respect the boundary line. And I thought I was afraid of spiders in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: