Tips for Identifying where mice getting into house

Old 01-28-19, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips for Identifying where mice getting into house

Has anyone ever used a blower door test with infra red camera to identify how mice are getting into a building?

How high up the building should I be looking for their entry points? Would they climb up and get in through a hole in the soffit vents?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 01:55 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
They need a hole about the size of a nickle and yes they can climb so everything up high is fair game!

Old 01-28-19, 02:27 PM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
You said building; residential, commercial, type of construction, types of doors? As Marq said, they don't need much of an opening so any cable, conduit, pipe, or other opening deserves closer inspection. Not in conjunction with a blower door test, nor with an infrared camera, but I have successfully used an infrared gun to identify suspect openings so assume your thoughts could identify at least some possibilities. It's winter though, and they will find a way in regardless, so best to set some traps. No, I'm not on any medication, but swear that sometimes it's as if they're standing right outside one of the garage doors or man doors with a bandana on a stick over their shoulder, waiting to move in as soon as the door is opened, because no matter how carefully you inspect and seal they invariably find their way in.

Old 01-28-19, 02:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
I never heard of a blower test being used in this way. As far as I know, finding the potential openings is pretty much detective work. Gloves, knee pads, a good light. I like thin gloves such as nitrile/latex so that I can feel openings, holes, cracks, crevices better. I like "Stuf-it" and always have a roll on hand.

https://www.domyown.com/stuffit-copp...tml?sub_id=229

Old 01-28-19, 04:07 PM
Sorry, its a residential. Older farmhouse. The house was recently renovated and is quite tight (energy efficient). New triple glazed windows. Energy efficient doors etc. the basement walls are insulated with spray foam insulation. Thanks for the product suggestion of StuffIt.
Thank you,

Old 01-29-19, 05:11 AM
Received 57 Votes on 52 Posts
The reason I asked the type of building, and what you have is a good example of where I have used it before, although maybe not an issue if they did a thorough job spraying the basement walls, is that I have used light to find gaps a few times too. Sometimes they are obvious enough if you just darken the basement, obviously with a flashlight in hand so you don't trip over anything, and see if you can see where light is coming in on a sunny day. Or you could light up the basement and look around the perimeter from the outside at night. It's probably not the surest method, but it's worked for me a few times.

Old 01-29-19, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Personally I plug the holes when I find them but mostly rely on snap traps to eliminate the mice.

Old 01-29-19, 06:09 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
All of the above, but I have a blower door and infrared camera and although I have not specifically gone looking for mouse holes I have found plenty of mouse trails, inside walls. Once they create a tunnel through the insulation it shows up on the IR inspection. I've had some terrified home owners. Called one the next day and hubby answered and said problem all taken care of, the entire wall framing from the finished basement (which had mice trails everywhere) was in the back yard and mama still wasn't sure she was going to live there. Years later now she stayed.

But, you don't need the power and calibration of a blower door, a good window fan or two can do the job and you can rent a better IR camera than I own. Or buy an inexpensive one that can do a good job. The plus of using IR is you will find more than mouse holes, very powerful tool especially when mother nature is providing such a great temperature difference.

Tips if you go with a camera.

Bud

Old 01-29-19, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. appreciated as always!
Mike.