May have come in contact with dog?

Old 01-28-19, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
May have come in contact with dog?

Hello all! The rodent in the attacked photo may have come in contact with my dog. Itís clearly impaired and when I went back about 20 mins later it was still in the same place, sort of panting. Itís hard to tell from the photo but it has a pretty long tail. The animal itself is about 4-6 inches long. Any insight into what it is and whether I should be worried about my dog are welcome! Thank you!

(the photo link is in the comments section! Sorry for the confusion!)

Name:  Unknown critter.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  143.6 KB

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-29-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added pic
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 07:47 PM
Old 01-28-19, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Almost looks like a kangaroo mouse, but can't see the tail completely. They are found down in my area...not yours (If you are in the NW as your IP indicates. Please fill out profile with location).

Might be a kangaroo rat but I can't really find any sizes for mouse or rat. Yeah, if it's just sitting there likely it's sick, but unless your dog ate it, I doubt there's much reason for worry. If you find it later, you might call a local extension office, Fish and Game, or wildlife center for advice. Of course take your dog to the vet if they exhibit any signs of illness.

Old 01-29-19, 04:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 200 Votes on 185 Posts
Here are instructions for posting pictures.

If the animal is in distress don't let your dog eat it. If the critter has eaten poison you don't want your dog to ingest it.

Old 01-29-19, 07:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
I can't see enough of the animal and can't enlarge it as I don't have passwords and logins that seem to be required but my first impression was that it is a flying squirrel based on what appears to be the large eyes and the hunched nature of it.

Hard to tell without testing as to what's wrong with it. Could simply be sick, aging, or poisoned. There is a natural mortality rate throughout the animal world and sometimes the dying animals cross our paths. Typically, rodent type animals do not have rabies as any rabid animal that would bite them would also kill them. Not written in stone though.

At least here in PA, the Dept of Ag doesn't test for rabies unless human contact was made. Initially, when rabies became more common, people were bringing in every dead animal that they found and that not only was prohibitive, it wasn't necessary.

Typically 24-36 hours after death, the rabies virus dies too, unless the animal is frozen. If you feel up to it and wear gloves, you could check to see if there is loose skin/fur between front and rear legs that a flying squirrel would have for gliding. Keep us posted if you learn what it is.