Baby frogs getting into door jamb

Old 02-16-19, 02:30 PM

So, every freaking year starting around April, we get lots and lots of baby frogs hiding away in the door jams of our vehicles. At worst, there may be one in each door jam. I have to deal with these little devils every year and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of it. It hasn't started yet but it will. I have a 2001 Grand Am SE Sedan and my Mom has a 2005 Grand Prix GTP.

1) What can we do to stop these pests from stowing away in the door jams of our vehicles?

2) Is there anything I can use to lace the door jams with to prevent them from going up in there?

3) What chemicals can kill these pests instantly?

4) How effective is brake cleaner on baby frogs?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-19, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Maybe they just like Pontiacs? See if it happens with an Asian or European brand? Lol

Sorry, I think this is the first baby frog question I've ever seen here.

I can't imagine what would be a viable product to place in the jambs that would be easy to remove when you get in and also wouldn't harm the finish. I'm guessing these may be tree frogs dropping on the car then crawling to a dark hidden spot? Surely they can't be hopping up and in?

I imagine brake cleaner would make them slime up, just like snails/slugs do? Don't many frogs so similar?

First thing I would do is find out what kind of frogs. That might explain why they are there and what they would avoid. 2nd, other people near you must have a similar problem. Have you asked at a parts store?

Old 02-16-19, 04:09 PM
I have never asked a parts store. Our vehicles are no where near any trees, so these critters are hopping up to our cars and then jumping into the cracks in the doors. I read something about mixing citric acid with water and spraying that into the door jams. It says that it will burn their feet and may kill them. So, I'm going to try that. I would imagine brake cleaner giving them an excruciating death. When they start showing up I'll take a pic of one and post it. They might be tree frogs like you suggested.

Old 02-16-19, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Haha, yeah use brake cleaner! Then watch your body paint disappear!

Old 02-16-19, 05:47 PM
A small price to pay for revenge.

Old 02-17-19, 04:32 AM
So what is around the area that these are coming from, we see them in the spring time around the creek in the back yard but they never even make it up to the patio.

You somehow need to deal with the source not the destination!

Old 02-17-19, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are they toads or frogs? Take good pictures and/or specimens to your local agricultural county extension agents office. They will be familiar with the local species ID, habits, food sources, etc. Post pics here, too please as I'm curious to see this. I've never seen or heard of this.

What state are you in? Geographical location is always helpful as animal/insect/reptile species vary significantly from one area to another.

What part of the door frames? Lower, halfway up, top? Hinge side or latch side?

I can't imagine that there is going to be a chemical solution to this that wouldn't cause more harm than good.

Old 02-17-19, 05:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When I lived in fla we used to get plagued with tree frogs [also called rain frogs] every spring. One year I found one in the kitchen more mornings than not. A friend of mine started a bath rm remodel after his wife found one in the shower with her Those frogs didn't need much of an opening to get in. Not sure what preventive measures you could take

Old 02-17-19, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
I certainly am not afraid to get rid of pests when necessary but you may want to consider what frogs can do for you.
Presumably mosquitoes are prevalent in your area and frogs will help keep those numbers down.
You would likely not be able to destroy enough of them to make any difference to your problem and would do well to find a way to discourage them from trying to hitch a ride!

Old 02-17-19, 07:21 AM
Instead of a live frog in your door, it sounds like the options so far will just result in a dead frog in your door.
If they're not getting inside your car, I'd just leave it be. I'd imagine that sealing the exterior of the door jam would just result in you keeping moisture in the door and causing new problems.

Old 02-17-19, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Baby frog, doo doo doo doo doo doo

Sorry, couldn't help it....

Old 02-17-19, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
I would presume they are jumping to get up into the door jamb and also think they are making it as high as the horizontal threshold.
You could consider making a flap out of a complementary color of Gorilla tape or similar along the bottom of the door to cover the gap .

You could put 2 pieces, sticky sides together along the bottom half of the tape so it doesn't stick to the rocker panel

Old 02-17-19, 08:43 AM
Do you always park in the same spot? If you can try parking in a different area or section. You may be in the path of their natural direction instincts. Similar to new turtles hatching and going for the sea shore.

Old 02-17-19, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
The OP is in South Carolina (in their profile).

Hopefully you can find a more humane solution than using a chemical on them! Sounds like that would be pretty horrible for them (and your cars, as others have said).

How long does this go on for? I'm guessing that maybe it's just for a week or two? I would just collect them and put them somewhere else rather than kill them, but that's me.

Old 02-17-19, 09:16 AM

Bait! .............................................

Old 02-17-19, 09:25 AM
Is there a pocket of water in or near the door jamb?

Before frogs and toads get old enough to hop they hatch from caviar-like eggs as swimming aquatic tadpoles, looking vaguely like fish with large round head-bodies and long thin flat tails.

Then they gradually morph into frog shape and come out of the water and hop around.

Old 02-17-19, 03:39 PM
Is there a pocket of water in or near the door jamb?

Nope. We have a shed that is on the edge of our yard just in front of a field a good distance from our house. It has no door on it and the inside is filled with junk. We sometimes hear frogs croaking in there. I'm pretty sure that's where they're coming from and quite possibly from the field. I am considering blocking the exit with some kind of door. I would like to burn that sucker down but my dad built it and put all that junk in it so I can't do that.

How long does this go on for?

Starts around April and stops when it gets cold so, from April til about September.

Do you always park in the same spot?

Yeah. We park our cars on the side of the house by the back door. And there IS a direct path from the cars to the shed that is on the edge of the yard. I'm pretty sure they're coming from the shed. It has no door.

Are they toads or frogs?

They are definitely frogs.

What state are you in?

South Carolina

What part of the door frames do they like to hide in?

They love to hide in the door hinge and also the lower part where you step over to get into the car.

So what is around the area that these are coming from, we see them in the spring time around the creek in the back yard but they never even make it up to the patio.

You somehow need to deal with the source not the destination!

I believe the source is the shed on the edge of our yard. It has no door and we do sometimes hear croaking coming from that area. I will look into putting a door on it. I want to clean it out but there's so much junk in there, I think burning it down is the better option.