Little white "worms" crawling on me at work

Old 03-27-19, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Little white "worms" crawling on me at work

Hello. Do you have any ideas as to what is crawling on me at work and where it's coming from?

For at least the past couple of weeks, I've periodically felt and seen bugs crawling on me at work. When I notice them, they are either on my dress shirts or my neck. At first, I was just swatting them off, thinking they were bugs that had landed on me while I was walking to and from work.

Just yesterday, however, I saw two of them crawling on my shirt. They were little white worms with black heads. I swatted them off. Then, after my lunch break (for which I left the office), I noticed another one on me.

I showed it to my coworker, who said that they were maggots. I was skeptical because I don't keep trash in my office.

I was thinking that they were the larvae of clothes moths (or of some other kind of moth). I seem to have this problem primarily (if not exclusively) when I wear dress shirts. But I inspected my dress shirts that just came back from the dry cleaner's and didn't detect anything.

A janitor at my building this that they are termites. Another person thinks that they are baby termites that are falling on my from trees as I walk to and from work. I admit that there is a huge tree canopy that I walk under essentially every day for at least a block. However, I looked at some images of baby termites on the Web and this looks more like a moth larva.

So, any ideas? Spring in Miami, Florida. Walk under trees every day to and from work. Worked in same office for 15 months and only having this problem w/n the past couple of weeks or so. Do not keep food in office, though did need to vacuum under desk. Take dress clothes to dry cleaner's. Dress shirts are laundered (versus dry-cleaned). Keep a pretty clean house and have not had this issue at home yet.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-19, 07:02 AM
I meant the title to be: Little white "worms" crawling on me at work

Old 03-27-19, 07:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
I doubt clothes moths are the culprit here. You would be seeing even more evidence at home.

If it is in fact a worm type of insect, then it is not any stage of termites. Florida has various species of termites that we don't have in northeast but no termite species has a worm type of larva.

Worm larva are common to moths, beetles, stored product pests, flies.

I suspect that an "overhead environment" could be the issue here. They could be dropping off the trees even though this hasn't been experienced in the past. Insect populations run in cycles by my experience and some years are worse (better for them) than others.

Another option is that they could be dropping out of the ceiling in your office. There could be a dead/decaying rodent or bird in the ceiling above. The adult stage of whatever these are would be feasting on the carcass and breeding. Larva oftentimes leave the host when looking for a place to pupate prior to emerging as an adult which searches for the original host, keeping the life cycle going. If this is the case, then finding/removing the carcass will end this as will the eventuality of the carcass drying up and becoming unpalatable.

Do you see any beetles or similar in office or on walls/ceilings?

Larva are hard to identify and usually require an entomologist or very knowledgeable person. A good thing to do would be to collect several specimenrs, alive would be better as dead larva dry up and change appearance quickly. Take the specimens to a local county agricultural extension office for proper ID. They are objective and can usually send them off elsewhere if needed. Call them first to see how they want the specimens, etc. Here in PA the extension offices are staffed by Penn State, not sure what university in Florida does it.

Proper ID will point us in the correct and productive direction for resolution. These types of pests have a wide variety of food, harborage, life cycles, etc which necessitates proper ID to get going in the correct direction.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-27-19, 10:04 AM
Thank you so much for the tips! Yes, I'll post back.

Old 03-27-19, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Title changed per request.

Old 03-27-19, 02:41 PM
I just found this in the bathtub

I just found this in the bathtub. It is in a little puddle of water. This is just a day after I found stuff crawling on me at work. Had never seen one inside the house before. Looked like a "little white worm" from a distance. Looked a little different close up. Please see the image below. I'll attach the second (less clear) one to another post.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-19, 02:44 PM
Second image

Here's the second one. Same picture but less clear. Couldn't attach to previous post for some reason.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-19, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
That's an adult silverfish, not a larva stage of anything. Is this what you are finding at work? It could be the same or there could be two issues at the same time; it happens.

Old 03-27-19, 03:42 PM
It's probably a coincidence. I think I've seen a few silverfish around the house before. Though I suppose it's possible that juvenile silverfish are crawling on my at work before. I know other people have seen them from time to time. I doubt it, though, because I am finding the white things that keep getting on me on my shirt and neck, which makes me think they are coming from overhead. If I trap one at work, I'll see if I can take some pictures of it. Thanks.