Mice living around air conditioner

Old 05-18-19, 08:05 PM
Mice living around air conditioner

I have some mice living around/under my air conditioner and they have occasionally made it into the house. How do I go about making that area around the air conditioner inhospitable to them so they don't live there? I've been plugging up areas around the house with steel wool but am hesitant to use that around the air conditioner or any sprays around it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-19, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
If you are talking about the condenser that sits on the ground with a split system..... there should not be any entrances into the house. However, you may find a large hole where the refrigerant lines and the electrical lines pass thru. That hole should be sealed. You may need to use some steel wool in the hole as they won't chew thru that.

If you have a packaged unit where the whole system is outside..... there could be large gaps around the connecting duct work.

Old 05-19-19, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They mouse evidence/harborage that you see outside may not be the source of the mice inside, but it very well could be. The entire exterior may need a thorough inspection for entry points; sounds like you've done that at least to a degree. I've done that at my own house but this winter we started getting mice in the attic again so soon I'm going to get the knee pads on and slowly go around every linear inch of the exterior and re-looking at the previous sealing jobs. Nothing is permanent; that's why they call it "maintenance".

In any case we still don't want mice under the AC unit. Assuming this is the unit that sits on the ground outside the house like a heat pump/ac unit, you could purchase an exterior grade bait station and bait blocks to use inside of it and place it against house perimeter in that immediate area. I'd weight it down with rocks, bricks, etc. Keep it up off the ground a couple of inches so that rain water doesn't accumulate inside.

Here is an example of the product that I use for sealing gaps, cracks, openings. Steel wool is good too. Consider buy stainless steeel wool in craft shops and such for areas where you don't want rust marks.

https://www.domyown.com/stuffit-copper-mesh-p-1463.html

The "stuff-it" can be stretched thin, used as a wrap, or balled up and stuffed. Can be cut with a scissors, but as you cut it, copper splinters will fly off so I either cut it outside the house of hold it down inside a 5 gal bucket so as to catch the splinters although splinters will fall off as you use it. Be prepared to vacuum the area.