Flies in Jacuzzi bathtub, don't appear to be drain flies.

Old 06-01-19, 05:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flies in Jacuzzi bathtub, don't appear to be drain flies.

Good morning everyone! So I moved into this new house about 2 months ago. Recently, I've noticed flies around and in the jacuzzi bathtub. They do not appear to be drain flies or fruit flies. What I've done so far is I taped up the drains in the bathtub and glass door shower drain. No flies came up and got stuck to it. I then filled up the Jacuzzi with warm water and ran the jet blaster through it that I purchased from a pool place that cleans the lines and jets. I did notice flies were in the water when draining. After doing that, I had no flies for about 2 days. Then, I noticed a couple more after that so I added the other half if the jet blaster and ran it again. Since then, there has still been some flies, but not as many. If they are in the part that doesn't allow the tub to overflow, how can I clean inside that? I've also made a few apple cider traps but no fly has gone in. Any help or suggestions would be great. I've attached a few pictures as well. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  f3.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  34.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-02-19 at 11:57 AM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-19, 05:31 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
I can't tell what kind of fly it is from the pic.

You've done good work in diagnosing this and I think that there is more organic debris inside somewhere that is getting disturbed with your work, but not completely cleaned out.

I don't know how to remove/access the overflow but others here probably will. In the meantime, if you want to treat up in that overflow drain for temporary relief (and maybe more confirmation), find an aerosol insecticide that has the application "straw" on it much like WD 40 cans do. Make sure it is well inserted, and gently bend the straw to go up inside the overflow drain and give it a couple seconds spray.

Keep us posted.

Old 06-02-19, 12:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
You may be able to remove the plate that covers the overflow but there most likely is no access to it. It's basically like a standard bathtub in that to access that area if there is no access panel then you open the ceiling below it.

Any treatment in the overflow will need to be done from topside.

PAbugman voted this post useful.