What is this?

Old 06-03-19, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
What is this?

Found this dead, under my hamper YUK! Anyone know what it is?

Name:  Bug.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  114.8 KB

Almost an inch long. Here it is next to a quarter:

Name:  Bug 2.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  122.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 126
Kind of looks like a male oriental cockroach.

PAbugman voted this post as helpful.
Old 06-03-19, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
Palmetto bug as they call them in SC.. Its a nice name for a standard cockroach..

This is the standard palmetto bug...

Old 06-03-19, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
It does look more like that oriental cockroach since it's almost black in color. I don't think it's a regular cockroach Mike. At least it doesn't look like one.
It was in an upstairs hallway which is dry. Says you can find them in basements and kitchens, damp places and garbage and mulch, etc. There's none of those things upstairs. Not sure why it was up there, but I hope there aren't any more!

Old 06-04-19, 04:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
Yep, Oriental cockroach. They travel from basement to upstairs and attics by following the path that the main sewage stack/pipe takes. Not inside the pipe, but follow exterior of the pipe. It's not really that far from basement to attic when going in a straight line. Could have come out underneath the bathroom vanity where the sink drain pipe penetrates the cabinet either through the base of cabinet or wall. Also, touch the kick plate of cabinet and slide your fingers up to see if there is an opening that goes into the void space under the cabinet floor.

In the basement/ground level they will follow the utility pipes back into the house from under the street. In locations that don't suffer winter temps they will live outdoors year round, too. They can get "chased into" a house if there are backhoes digging outside, paving, sudden high water in utility lines, etc.

They don't breed quickly and don't do well in residential environs unless extreme conditions exist like you'd find in industrial type locations with lots of heat, humidity, water, under floor utilities, etc.

Old 06-04-19, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 16
Didn't know the big ones were that far north. Commonly referred to as a palmetto bug down here in FL, too, as mentioned in SC.

Old 06-04-19, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator
Okay, thanks. Yes we did have the street dug up and repaved recently. I never saw one of them in the house before. I don't see any others, so hopefully that was the only one that came in!