Does this look like termites?

Old 06-09-19, 05:58 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does this look like termites?

I found some finely shaved wood on top of my wood garage doors. Does it look like termites?! It looks similar to images I've found online but not the same. Thank you!

Attached Images   
Old 06-09-19, 06:41 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
There are a couple different types of termites and your approximate location might help with the identification. I'm not a bug pro but it looks to me like some other chewing insect. The pros will be along and welcome to the forum.

Bud

Old 06-09-19, 06:59 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks. I'm in Dallas, Texas.

Old 06-09-19, 07:32 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
That helps. We will wait for the pros.

Bud

Old 06-10-19, 05:23 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I'd be looking around the wood for perfectly round about 3/8" holes caused by carpenter bees.
Noticed any large black ants around?
That would be carpenter ants.
Not sure what your looking for then call a real exterminator, anyone I know will do a free inspection and suggest how to treat it.

Old 06-10-19, 07:50 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Doubt that it's termites, certainly not subterranean termites. Not sure what all species you have in Texas.

I can't zoom in but it looks like "frass" from a chewing insect. Probably carpenter ants or carpenter bees. Also, make sure that this isn't debris from mechanical abrasion of wood and other materials rubbing together. I've experienced that in cheap wooden kitchen cabinets/drawers that made occupants think that chewing insects were present. Probably insect related though but make sure.

Look closely into the frass; do you see ant body parts? If so, then safe to assume carpenter ants. There is a natural mortality in all insect colonys and they throw the bodys out with the trash.

Bud9051 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: