light scratching noises in attic 130 degrees

Old 07-15-19, 04:19 PM
Upvotes Received: 1
Unhappy light scratching noises in attic 130 degrees

Guys I need help! For week we've heard a scratching noise in the ceiling/attic above our bedroom. It typically occurs around 12pm or so. We've had 2 pest control guys out and they couldn't find anything. One saw mouse poop but said it could be old. They have set snap traps etc and caught nothing. We have went up to the attic and looked under the insulation in the spot we hear and nothing was there ( no tunnels, no scratch marks , nothing.) When its scratching if you knock on the ceiling it will stop for a min but start again. What could be scratching mid day and survive attic temps of 120-130 degrees? Please help its driving me nuts!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-19, 02:33 AM
Upvotes Received: 67
You found droppings so I;d say that is the best lead, they are under the insulation where it's cooler, just like you.

Going to have to give it some time but if your putting up fresh traps eventually they will flnd it!

Bud9051, cajaka voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-16-19, 03:49 AM
Upvotes Received: 16
They need to eat so they are traveling outside of feeding somewhere inside, for now I'm assuming mice or rats. Seal up all food sources inside especially any dog food that is left out for long periods. That could force them to your baited traps.

Put traps outside as well, up next to the foundation and protected so pets and kids cannot get to them.

I have seen pictures from a motion sensor camera that spotted an intruder, might help.

Bud

cajaka voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-17-19, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 13
So the noise is only heard during mid day but not at night when you are in the room for the greatest amount of time?

We need to consider that this may not be rodent/animal noises. In our own outbuildings I hear the loudest expansion noises during late morning/early noon as that is when the greatest temperature swings occur, as the daytime sun rapidly warms up the structure. We too have mouse droppings in our attic and outbuildings, but they are co-incidental to the noises.

As buildings age they shift/settle ever so slightly which can cause new sounds that we didn't hear before. This summer I was sure our garage door motor was humming even when unplugged which unnerved me. I soon discovered that our outdoor a/c unit, when running, was sending a vibration through the house and into the garage which sounded like a low level electrical hum.

I know you said "scratching noise", but keep open to the possibility that something unusual is going on that's not related to animal noise.

Keep us posted.

Old 07-17-19, 07:43 AM
Upvotes Received: 11
Originally Posted by cajaka
]When its scratching if you knock on the ceiling it will stop for a min but start again. What could be scratching mid day and survive attic temps of 120-130 degrees? Please help its driving me nuts!
Are you close to a road or large open meadow?

Sounds could be a large bird - vulture or hawk- perching on the roof.
Even smaller bird pecking the gravel out of the bottom of your gutters make quite a lot of sound.

I say that because we occasionally have a red tail hawk that perches on the vent, and this year we had a nest of swallows just under the eaves which made quite a racket.

Old 07-22-19, 04:43 PM
Thank you all. We are still trying to find the culprit. Nothing has changed same noise at the same time each day. No one has touched the traps. Im thinking for putting up a trail cam to see if I can get a photo of something.

Bud9051 voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-23-19, 02:32 AM
Upvotes Received: 67
same noise at the same time each day
Then it's something else making the noise!

Old 07-23-19, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a possibility that a wood-boring beetle is inside an overhead joist/rafter and is chewing its way out. Not necessarily a problem unless it's a type of beetle that re-infests. Not sure why it would be on a regular schedule, but they can be temporarily disturbed by external noise. As far as the temps, the attic air temp may be 130 degrees but inside the wood, under insulation it may not be.

Yellow jacket nests also make scratching/rustling sounds as they build on top of the ceiling drywall, but you've been up there and didn't see anything. Just for the record, maybe take a slow walk around exterior and inspect the soffit where it meets the house all around that room. I've know of yellow jackets to enter the soffit and go up to 10' inside the room to make a nest. Never understood why they went so far in, but they do. Binoculars will help if two stories or high. Pick a sunny day when the activity, if present, will be greatest. This time of year the nests are getting bigger.

I'm leaning away from insect/rodent activity except for the above possibilities.

Last edited by PAbugman; 07-23-19 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 08-01-19, 05:14 PM
I wanted to stop in and let you all know after weeks we finally caught who was scratching and scurrying around our attic. We found out that it was a group of blue tailed skinks.

Old 08-01-19, 05:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Makes sense based on your description of symptoms.

Good job!

Thanks for the update!